allan

Question

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I didn't read the entire thing but I can tell you that in NY State only vets who have served during a conflict AND have a campain ribbon for tha confilct are SUPPOSED to get preference. The way it works in my city is every vet is given preference and those of us that are vets in the eyes of NY aren't going to mess it up for the rest of them.

I will say that I was a vet when I got hired by the fire dept. and was given 5 points on my entrance exam and since being rated by VA I am a "disabled" vet but in the eyes of civil service I "USED UP" my points already and being listed as disabled now doesn't entitle me to those extra 5 disabled veterans points now.

Just me 2 cents.

• HadIt.com Elder

Somehow Veterans Preference only works if you are already in with the big shots at least that is my opinion.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

i've worked for the federal govt for 31 years plus 6 for military......veterans preference only came up in one conversation...i was asked if i claimed it and never heard it mentioned again....i hired in as a gs-9 and still a gs-9...many people around me moved up and up...the lowly vet stayed at the bottom.

<b>for sale.....1 used veteran.slightly broken.

understands very little when it comes to regulations.

please be gentle.housebroken</b> <b>,growls

but does not bite</b>

Somehow Veterans Preference only works if you are already in with the big shots at least that is my opinion.

When I went to work for Federal Service in 2000 I was hired (at fort Bragg) sight unseen only becaue of my veteran preference. I am medically retired and live in Texas now. Recently my wife was offered a Federal job without an interview again sight unseen because of my veteran preference and I can no longer work.

I didn't know anyone who worked for the government in 2000, and we are fairly new in Texas with a few friends from my army days so at least in our case it is not always who you know.

Guest Dataman

I know when I got Fired in July 2000 I applied for TDIU and SSA Disability along with GS5 Positions at VA Hospital. I was qualifed for those jobs and my folder got pulled but I never even got a Interview. Instead TDIU came in 6 weeks. I still figured I could have worked the right job. (not now).

Shook my head over that one and still do.

SFD

• HadIt.com Elder

I got veteran's preference when I was hired as a disabled vet at the post office. They they immediately started trying to fire me for seeking treatment for my disability.