Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Is Changing My Diagnosis !

Rate this question

bm6546

Question

I have been diagnosed by the VA for over 40 years with a heart condition called PAT-Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia. I was discharged with this PAT and am SC for this heart condition. When I saw my VA Psychologist last week he informed me that he was told that he could no longer check the box that "this visit is related to Service Connected Condition" as SC for my Supraventricular Arrhythmias. That means that I have to start paying for the office visits to see him.

I told him that I have never heard of this Supraventicular Arrhythmias and that I was diagnosed with Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia. He said that he can only go with what was in my records. He also gave me a GAF of 60.

After my heart attack 2 1/2 years ago I have claimed my heart condition, depression, anxiety disorder and ED. Has anybody been diagnosed with this Supraventricular Arrhythmias and can help me understand what is going on with the change of condition. And what can I do about this? How does this help or hurt my claims?

Thanks in advance for any help....Brian

I've waited this long and I'm not giving up....NEVER!!

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

PS- have you formally applied yet for TDIU?

If the private doctor agrees with the premise of the claim present CAD from the inservice PAT-I suggest that you send the VA the TDIU form.

Under # 25 Remarks, tell them of the other disabilities that are secondary to th heart disease and tell them of the side effects of the meds you take (the ED might be caused by one of the meds and you could find a medical printout on the web to support that side affect of the meds.)

Under # 18 Check Yes and then in Remarks tell them what you get the SSA for- there isnt much room in # 25 Remarks so it is best to refer them in this block to separate page, put you C file number on it and tell them the above info.

I will attach the TDIU form. TDIU pays the 100% rate of comp.

That would only be contingent in your case if the IMO can connect the PAT to your present heart disease.

Berta,

Yes my VSO has already sent in the TDIU form approx 1 year ago. I checked out the different referenced posts for the IMO claims. I found these to be very interesting and informative. Of course I will have to wait until I hear something back from the VA before I proceed with any IMO from one of my private doctors. I will also talk to my VSO when she comes back from vacation.

Thanks Berta. I appreciate your help. Brian

I am with everyone else in regards to your SC'd percentage after a heart attack, but in regards to a change in diagnosis where a rating is concerned, here is the reg you need:

38 CFR 4.13:

The repercussion upon a current rating of service connection when change is made of a previously assigned diagnosis or etiology must be kept in mind. The aim should be the reconciliation and continuance of the diagnosis or etiology upon which service connection for the disability had been granted. The relevant principle enunciated in §4.125, entitled “Diagnosis of mental disorders,” should have careful attention in this connection. When any change in evaluation is to be made, the rating agency should assure itself that there has been an actual change in the conditions, for better or worse, and not merely a difference in thoroughness of the examination or in use of descriptive terms. This will not, of course, preclude the correction of erroneous ratings, nor will it preclude assignment of a rating in conformity with §4.7.

[29 FR 6718, May 22, 1964, as amended at 61 FR 52700, Oct. 8, 1996]

rentalguy1,

Thanks for responding with the VA regulation. I am sorry but I just don't quite understand what any of that means. I have read it several times and it still doesn't make any sense to me. Of course, sometimes I can read a story in the newspaper 10 times and it doesn't make any sense to me. Must be all the drugs, don't know.

Can you or someone help me understand in layman terms what that regulation means.

Thanks in advance for any help...Brian

• HadIt.com Elder

It essentially means that they will not change a diagnostic code for rating purposes unless there was a gross error in the original diagnosis. In other words, if your previously diagnosed condition caused heart complications, and the newly diagnosed condition also causes heart attacks, then they will not change the rating diagnostic code. If, as in my case, you are diagnosed with a lumbar strain, and then ten years later a MRI shows intervertabral disc syndrome and spinal stenosis, then the diagnostic code can be changed. They do (or at least in my case did) make a big deal out of changing the code.

In short, they most likely would not mess around with your rating or your rating diagnostic code just because a more definitive diagnosis has been provided through a more thorough exam or new technology, because I am guessing the two conditions are fairly similiar. Likewise, it may be difficult to get rated for the new diagnosis in addition to the previous diagnosis due to pyramiding.

Hope this helps to clear it up.

90%, TDIU P&T

It essentially means that they will not change a diagnostic code for rating purposes unless there was a gross error in the original diagnosis. In other words, if your previously diagnosed condition caused heart complications, and the newly diagnosed condition also causes heart attacks, then they will not change the rating diagnostic code. If, as in my case, you are diagnosed with a lumbar strain, and then ten years later a MRI shows intervertabral disc syndrome and spinal stenosis, then the diagnostic code can be changed. They do (or at least in my case did) make a big deal out of changing the code.

In short, they most likely would not mess around with your rating or your rating diagnostic code just because a more definitive diagnosis has been provided through a more thorough exam or new technology, because I am guessing the two conditions are fairly similiar. Likewise, it may be difficult to get rated for the new diagnosis in addition to the previous diagnosis due to pyramiding.

Hope this helps to clear it up.

Thanks rentalguy1, that does clear it up. Not sure if the VA has changed my rating, but 2 different ratings are showing up. I will contact my VSO when she returns from vacation. It kind of freaked me out, not understanding what or if the VA was pulling something over on me.