VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Peripheral Neuropathy And Dm Ii

Rate this question

chuck08

Question

Recently retired and SC a combined 80% for OSA, Coronary heart disease, DM II, tinnitus, hypertension, left and right lower extermity peripheral neuritis, left and right ear hearing loss and ED.

(While on Active Duty)

At the time I filed my claim, I did not know I could claim secondary conditions to DM II. The c&p exam revealed my lower extermities peripheral neuritis (I thought my left and right chronic ankle pain was causing the burning sensation between my ankle and knee) , thus VA awarded SC although I did not claim the condition on my form. The burning sensation between my ankle and knee started a while (a year or more) before I was diagnosed with DMII. Over the years my ankle was treated using Vioxx, Celebrex and eventually Motrin (the new doc did not approve of Celebrex)

A couple of months before my DM II was diagnosed, I was seen by a doctor regarding numbness in my pinkie and ring finger with tingling along my elbow and left hand. She said that my ulnar nerve was likely pinched between my elbow while the elbow was bent for long durations during an activity. She suggested that when I feel the numbness, to stretch my arm (NO Kidding) and gave me a document explain the Ulnar nerve. During that time I also had some tingling in my right hand, but discounted it as the Ulnar nerve--the suggest treatment was no good. Two months after seeing her about the ulnar nerve, I was diagnosed with DM II.

A couple of weeks ago, I seen my TriCare doctor regarding numbness in my pinkie and ring finger with tingling along my elbow and right hand. She said that my ulnar nerve was the problem. OK, I asked whether I had peripheral neuropathy and could DM II be a contributing factor? She said no (unsure tone), I had an ulnar nerve that was damaged as it passes through the wrist--a confusing answer.

I would like to know whether I can file another claim for peripheral neuropathy, neuritis for both my hands? I awarded my service connection a couple of months ago, and wondered whether I had to wait--last claim filed within a year (Also, I need to do a NOD for a couple of denied claims). Rushing to do my job and preparing for retirement, I never had a VSO look at my service record which she/he would of caught the secondaries to DM II. Any help will be greatly appreciated....

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, you can file for PN for the hands but you need a nexus statement from a doctor making the connection between the DMII and the PN.

• HadIt.com Elder

You need a NCs and an EMG to physically pinpoint the Ulnar Nerve damage.

You need a DOc to write a good nexus ( DMII and the Nerve Damage.

J