VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Newbe Here Cna You Help?

Rate this question

Guest William75

Question

Guest William75

Hello All, Let me start out by saying that I think what you are doing is a great thing.I stumbled across this site trying to find some info on my claim. While I don't think I deserve as much help as some people on this site I wouls like to see if some of you could ansewer a few questions for me. I had lowere back surgey when i was on active duty. Since then i continue you to have problems with my back. I am still able to work most of the time. But it does effect how I do things in my everyday life. I cannot be as active as I was before the surgery. Even playing with my kids can sometimes cause a problem. I have started my claim and even had a Physical at the VA. But it did not seem like the DOC had a clue what kind of pian i was having when i left there. I have not heard anything back yet. What i was hoping some of you could tell me is what kind of rating do they give for back problems. I do not think what i beleive should be what they give me. The problem is there is really no way to find out unless i compare mysely with other vets. Any help would be great.

Thank you.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

William:

Welcome to Hadit and you deserve the help at Hadit cause you earned it by service. Its a long road and you probably will get an answer from the VA a month or two after you have your Medical Exam called a C&P Exam.

As far as the rating would be since you are working it will or should be a partial award. Hang around and there is an answer to almost any questions that you may have.

Did you receive any rating at all when you left the service? were you discharged because of back problem?

I think the lack of responses to your question is that back problems can certainly involve many numerous issues and it is very difficult to determine what a rating would be-

As long as you have filed VA form 21-526 as a formal claim, Pete is right - a C & P Exam will give you and us here some diagnostic codes and other information as to how the VA should rate you. We can often tell if the rating should be appealed when we see the diagnostic codes.

I assume you have continued medical treatment records for this condition

as the VA loves paper -- any documentation, X rays, MRIs etc, as well as the surgical info in your SMRs will help your claim.

But I suggest you make sure they have it all by sending them copies of it all.The 21-526 will get you a c file number and you should use that number on anything you send to the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder
Did you receive any rating at all when you left the service? were you discharged because of back problem?

I think the lack of responses to your question is that back problems can certainly involve many numerous issues and it is very difficult to determine what a rating would be-

As long as you have filed VA form 21-526 as a formal claim, Pete is right - a C & P Exam will give you and  us here some diagnostic codes and other information as to how the VA should rate you. We can often tell if the rating should be appealed when we see the diagnostic codes.

I assume you have continued medical treatment records for this condition

as the VA loves paper -- any documentation, X rays, MRIs etc, as well as the surgical info in your SMRs will help your claim.

But I suggest you make sure they have it all by sending them copies of it all.The 21-526 will get you a c file number and you should use that number on anything you send to the VA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• HadIt.com Elder

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am always troubled by the fact that for many injuries the pain you experience is far in excess of some range of motion study or the objective findings. I have chronic neuropathic pain disorder but all I got was a 10% rating. The pain I suffer is much more disabling than the lack of range of motion. How does the VA rate pain as a disability?

Guest William75

Berta, Thanks for your help.

This may sound stupid but reading what you wrote might as well been in another language. I'm really going to have to do some work to due this stuff. I did go to the doc but did not get any paperwork when i left. I did call the VA yesterday and they said the were in the process of reviewing everthing. So i guess im stuck for know untill the get back to me on what the deal is. If the don't give me what i think i deserve i guees i start the process of appeal. Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you get a copy of the treatment report, If not always go to FOIA and

request a copy of the exam. They have 20days to get you a copy but it may

take longer, then you will know what the Dr. told the VA .

thank

James