Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

2 Married Vets He Is 70%/ 100% Iu She Is 30%

Rate this question

halos2

Question

Friend asked question: both vets. He 70% but at 100% IU, she is 30%. If he passes away can she get DIC on his compensation? Also she wants to know, he gets $400 per month more, can she get SSDI on him instead of her own which is less? She hopes this doesn't happen but both are in 60's and she didn't know if there were income restrictions on either or both.

Edited by halos2

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

If either one of these vets dies due to SC causing or contributing to death they can receive DIC and if eligible-SSA on their spouses account.

Or with 100% SC P & T in place for ten years prior to death.

I think they have to be 60 years old to get SSA on their spouses account due to of death of spouse from any cause.

VA comp, DIC, and SSA do not limit each other.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Berta,

I want to get something clarified here from you. I know this post is 9 mths old but checking and had these questions as they were presented to me.

Male vet receives ss, female receives ssdi, the rest is the same they receive as posted previously...

Now you write if EITHER vets dies due to sc cause or contributed to... either can receive DIC? So if he passes from sc she can get dic and the same with him for her if sc.

And even if one gets ss or ssdi they could get ssa on top of that for the spouse that died? I was told if one dies the remaining spouse would receive one payment. Either hers or his, whichever was the greater amount.

I do know a female vet who has been getting ssa(need based) for years, and she recently filled for a deceased husband, and gets that too. But I was told ss and ssdi are larger amounts and cannot be processed as that.

Now I am more confused. I have seen ie elderly's get ss, and one dies, and ss decreases the amount the survivor gets...no more 2 checks. So that is why I am wondering if there is something different now or if these people have not been told they could get more.

I know va and ssdi do not cancel eachother out but the ssa is the thing in question, as the ss and ssdi are already more $. SOOO hypothetically 1 vet passes...other keeps their sc disc and get dic on other(SC) one who died and the vet keeps their ss and then gets ssa on the other one who passed?

That is what I am reading. Is it correct??

If either one of these vets dies due to SC causing or contributing to death they can receive DIC and if eligible-SSA on their spouses account.

Or with 100% SC P & T in place for ten years prior to death.

I think they have to be 60 years old to get SSA on their spouses account due to of death of spouse from any cause.

VA comp, DIC, and SSA do not limit each other.

I was looking at this a while ago and yes that is essentially correct if I am undestanding you. The point here is that what is mosy favorable (monetarily) is what should occur, if the situation is as described.

The veteran dies, the survivor gets DIC, and they get still get their ssd (ssi is gone) unless ssd and ssi are more than ssd and DIC then the dont get DIC. Its whats most favorable to the survivor. As for an increase in the SURVIVORS ssd - if minor children are present they will keep that until 18, or the month they graduate high school, but their own personal ssd amounts wouldnt change (now - the ssa will calculate the payrate for the minors based upon the most favorable parents participation, but that should have already happened). However they may also qualify for survivor benefits under SSA in addition to their own ssd.. go to the SSA's website and click on survivors to learn how.

Am I making any sense here?

Edited by sixthscents

Bob Smith

also lets define some terms here

ssa = social security administration

ssd = social security disability

ssi = social security (suplemental) income

ss = social security (age based)

sss = social security survivor

so a person who draws ssd is disabled, depending upon how much income they have from other sources they may also qualify for ssi (ssi is a supplement)

a person cannot recieve just ssi

a person can recieve normal ss and also get ssi if need is proven.

also surviving spouses and children may be entitled to some benefits.

hope this clears up any confusion

Edited by sixthscents

Bob Smith

• HadIt.com Elder

Not to step on anyone's toes but I've added a few corrections, below:

pr

also lets define some terms here

ssa = social security administration

ssd = social security disability (should read SSDI = social security disability income)

ssi = social security (suplemental) income (should read SSI = supplemental security income)

ss = social security (age based)

sss = social security survivor

so a person who draws ssd is disabled, depending upon how much income they have from other sources they may also qualify for ssi (ssi is a supplement)

a person cannot recieve just ssi (a person can receive just SSI)

a person can recieve normal ss and also get ssi if need is proven.

also surviving spouses and children may be entitled to some benefits.

hope this clears up any confusion

Edited by Philip Rogers

• HadIt.com Elder

Additionally, a widowed claimant can collect against the spouses SS account at age 50, if claimant is disabled, at age 60, normally.

SSI is paid to those who are disabled who do not meet the "paid in" SSDI quarter requirements.

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers