Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thinking About Filing Ssi Claim

Rate this question

choopan

Question

Hello Fellow Vets I just came across this site so i thought i ask my question.

I live in CA last year my service connected disability got really bad I lost my job and received state disablity for 1 year, i did not apply for ssi thinking i would get better (cluster Headaches), so far no change in my health, infact i am diagnosed with Major Depressive disorder which increased my rating to 90%.

After my State disablity Ran out i applied for Unemployment as i have to get some income and i am looking for a job, but it doesnt look like my health will allow me to take so much time off work. If i apply with SSI what criteria would i have to follow, would i have to tell them about unemployment or simply call unemploment and tell them that i cant work. I am so confused can someone please help thanks.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

choopan:

Welcome to Hadit. You should file for SSD and cite you VA Disability and the State Disability you got. Be sure and use the last day you actually worked when you do the forms.

I did not see that you have asked VA for 100% or TDIU and you should do that first. If its within one year of your award appeal the 90% and ask that TDIU be considered. There is a lot of money on the table for you.

Good Luck

Hello Fellow Vets I just came across this site so i thought i ask my question.

I live in CA last year my service connected disability got really bad I lost my job and received state disablity for 1 year, i did not apply for ssi thinking i would get better (cluster Headaches), so far no change in my health, infact i am diagnosed with Major Depressive disorder which increased my rating to 90%.

After my State disablity Ran out i applied for Unemployment as i have to get some income and i am looking for a job, but it doesnt look like my health will allow me to take so much time off work. If i apply with SSI what criteria would i have to follow, would i have to tell them about unemployment or simply call unemploment and tell them that i cant work. I am so confused can someone please help thanks.

If you make more than 900 a months then you are not eligilby for SSI, While you can work and apply its difficult to get SSD. SSI is for people who have limited incomes and never paid in to SS or quarters are not useable.

You will have to pay them back if you get SSD from what I have read but I am not sure. With SS you don't have the ability to work at any job and thats the key to get it SSD----SSI is horse of a different color

Edited by ruby

thanks for the response. I have applied for IU, and i am not working, but i am getting paid through unemployment, how is that going to affect my SSI claim. I have worked 5 yrs in the past ten before i became too disabled to work.

thanks for the response. I have applied for IU, and i am not working, but i am getting paid through unemployment, how is that going to affect my SSI claim. I have worked 5 yrs in the past ten before i became too disabled to work.

It won't effect SSD but it will effect SSI.

SSD doesn't matter how much you make or recieve in unearned income.

SSI the max income from all sources is 900

• HadIt.com Elder

If you cannot work, and if you have the required number of "quarters", then you should apply for SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance). You will not get SSDI if there is any chance of you working. SSDI, unlike VA disability, requires you to be 100% unemployed/unemployable.

If you do receive SSDI, they hold back the first 5 or 6 months, AFTER you are determined to be unemployed/able (just in case you should accidentally show up for work, or some such BS), they want to MAKE sure that you are totally "down and out", and, I do believe, homeless.

Anyway, you won't get it if you don't apply.

Usually, if you are determined to be eligible for SSDI, most states will also recognize it and you can, in some instances, receive state aid.

thanks again for the response, but i have been collecting unemployment for the past month in a half so i am concerend how they would look at that for ssd, since i have to answer questions in my unemployment claim stating that i was able to work, so i am scared that it may backfire, i have all my medical records from the va and i have no more records at all. so i am asking if i should tell ssd about it or call unemployment and tell them that i dont want their assitance anymore, i am confused.