Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thinking About Filing Ssi Claim

Rate this question

choopan

Question

Hello Fellow Vets I just came across this site so i thought i ask my question.

I live in CA last year my service connected disability got really bad I lost my job and received state disablity for 1 year, i did not apply for ssi thinking i would get better (cluster Headaches), so far no change in my health, infact i am diagnosed with Major Depressive disorder which increased my rating to 90%.

After my State disablity Ran out i applied for Unemployment as i have to get some income and i am looking for a job, but it doesnt look like my health will allow me to take so much time off work. If i apply with SSI what criteria would i have to follow, would i have to tell them about unemployment or simply call unemploment and tell them that i cant work. I am so confused can someone please help thanks.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

thanks again for the response, but i have been collecting unemployment for the past month in a half so i am concerend how they would look at that for ssd, since i have to answer questions in my unemployment claim stating that i was able to work, so i am scared that it may backfire, i have all my medical records from the va and i have no more records at all. so i am asking if i should tell ssd about it or call unemployment and tell them that i dont want their assitance anymore, i am confused.

choopan - first let me address this: so i am asking if i should tell ssd about it yes, yes, yes - withholding such information is a violation of federal law and is punishable by a fine or jail time or both. Never, never withhold information on any claim for a disability income - state, federal or other. Let me repeat that never, never, never!!!!

Second: i have been collecting unemployment for the past month in a half so i am concerend how they would look at that for ssd Yes upon disclosing this to SS you yourself are telling them that you are fit for gainful employment. My question to you is if you are at the point where you are/want to file for SSDI then how are you truthfully collecting unemployment? Just a thought. Now the appropriate steps for you is while obtaining unemployment you tell them that you feel that you are now incapable of seeking employment due to the fact that you are disabled. Along with this you have to have your doctor agree with you and support it medically. Then you can and should file for SSDI. You are walking on a thin line here so when you fall off make sure there is a safety net waiting on you and that safety net is doing what is right. There should be no problem with you reporting during your next sign-up at the local unemployment office that you now feel you are disabled and you can no longer seek employment. More than likely they will stop your unemployment benefits due to this which could possibly help support your SSDI claim. As said on the site before, there will be a fairly long wait period due to the fact you must be disabled for 6 months before SSDI will consider you disabled. I personally do not think this is fair but that is the way the system is. You will have to find local support agencies to assist you during this period if you do not have family that is financially capable of helping you out. Good luck with your claim.

Edited by Ricky

• HadIt.com Elder
choopan - first let me address this: so i am asking if i should tell ssd about it yes, yes, yes - withholding such information is a violation of federal law and is punishable by a fine or jail time or both. Never, never withhold information on any claim for a disability income - state, federal or other. Let me repeat that never, never, never!!!!

Second: i have been collecting unemployment for the past month in a half so i am concerend how they would look at that for ssd Yes upon disclosing this to SS you yourself are telling them that you are fit for gainful employment. My question to you is if you are at the point where you are/want to file for SSDI then how are you truthfully collecting unemployment? Just a thought. Now the appropriate steps for you is while obtaining unemployment you tell them that you feel that you are now incapable of seeking employment due to the fact that you are disabled. Along with this you have to have your doctor agree with you and support it medically. Then you can and should file for SSDI. You are walking on a thin line here so when you fall off make sure there is a safety net waiting on you and that safety net is doing what is right. There should be no problem with you reporting during your next sign-up at the local unemployment office that you now feel you are disabled and you can no longer seek employment. More than likely they will stop your unemployment benefits due to this which could possibly help support your SSDI claim. As said on the site before, there will be a fairly long wait period due to the fact you must be disabled for 6 months before SSDI will consider you disabled. I personally do not think this is fair but that is the way the system is. You will have to find local support agencies to assist you during this period if you do not have family that is financially capable of helping you out. Good luck with your claim.

I'm going to comment here just as another precaution. BE SURE that the description of your job title relates to the Dept. of Labor's Job title. If it does not, find out the title the DOL uses for what your qualifications offer. As I said in a separate topic, my hubby's at work job title did not conform to any DOL and it took research and finding actually 5 job titles at DOL that described his qualifications. Just to give you an added boost when you possibly apply. Good luck. B)

thanks again for the response.

I at no point have any intention to decieve anyone, unemployment, ssdi, va and anyone. I hate applying or being on disability so therefore i dont even know if i should be applying for SSDI. Since i have been collecting unemployment i have been looking for jobs all over the place i have sent maybe over 200 resumes, but no sucess so far.

the last time I worked was 04-13-07 then i was on state disability for 1 year i thought i would be better so i never wanted and tried to apply for SSDI, even now i dont want to I wana work, but my situation is getting worse, i have no problem calling Unemployment and telling them that I am too ill to work. Now when i apply for SSDI will they take the day i stoped working in 07 or from the time i told unemployment that I too ill to work.

Plus i was told that if you have all your medical records that claim shouldnt take that long, is that the case or no. I would really appreciate insightful information.

thanks.