VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pain Medications

Rate this topic

Jack you and I are in the same boat, so to speak.

I no longer take tramadol for pain, I found the same allergic reaction to opiates however I did find one that works and takes the edge off of the pain just enough to tolerate life. Codeine Sulfate 30 mg this is just raw codeine and I can assure you that most Dr's do not even know about it I have tried everything over the past 35 plus years. The cost for a 60 day supply is $15.00 I can take up to eight a day if needed for pain and no adverse side effects, tramadol however can cause mental health problems if taken for any extended period of time.

Hope this helps you

Jack

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tramadol can make me VERY depressed. I do and can get the oxycontin from SSDI like you said, I may try that. I agree this stuff is all poison. MY brother has a bad back and got something called a nerve albation???? worked for him for four years. Got it at a Pain Doctors clinic. So im going to the VA pain doc a week from now...codiene tends to make me itch like no tomorrow, i think im right on the border of allergic to it. The other opiates actually make me stop breathing and code. Happened twice after surgery in the hospital. Scares the crap outa me.

The tramadol can make me VERY depressed. I do and can get the oxycontin from SSDI like you said, I may try that. I agree this stuff is all poison. MY brother has a bad back and got something called a nerve albation???? worked for him for four years. Got it at a Pain Doctors clinic. So im going to the VA pain doc a week from now...codiene tends to make me itch like no tomorrow, i think im right on the border of allergic to it. The other opiates actually make me stop breathing and code. Happened twice after surgery in the hospital. Scares the crap outa me.

It has given me back some quality of life, and it comes in different strength and you will itch for a little while week or 2 of to but it does sub-side but the relief it brings is worth it for me. Codeine make me itch like I got fleas all over. The VA does not offer Oxycontin but maybe in your condition they may help you with getting it..

Edited by yoggie2

i heard that Codein has some addiction affinty for users.My doctor said to me abot me having pain killers at any small pains.He said i am addicteed to some HISTACHIN pills for head and body pains , thats why get them very often.,Now i amm away from it after listenign to that.He also mentioned about codein , so beaware of not getting addicted to that.

• HadIt.com Elder

Have you applied for SSD and tried to get medicare? You need options besides the VA. Are you 100% disabled vet? The VA's pain management formulary is bare bones. If you can't take morphine or methadone you are just about out of luck. Having an allergy to opiates makes it hard because the VA is a rigid organization where the cost factor is king.

Have you applied for SSD and tried to get medicare? You need options besides the VA. Are you 100% disabled vet? The VA's pain management formulary is bare bones. If you can't take morphine or methadone you are just about out of luck. Having an allergy to opiates makes it hard because the VA is a rigid organization where the cost factor is king.

I have SSDI and medicare....I am 100% service connected...I find I can get what I want but that I usually have to have a doc with the ballz to say I need it and then the help of my senators VA rep. That usually gets action. I like going to the AFB hosp here, which is shared with the VA, the AFB docs are way good. If I can get one of them to prescribe something diffy then the pain doc at the VA will have to tell me why i cant have it, then i complain to my senator and !VOILA! in about three weeks i get a letter that complies.