VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Electronic System

Rate this question

Ron II

Question

From the 27 Mar 08 edition of the "Federal Times" (pardon me if this was posted previously).

Lawmakers urge progress In a Feb. 28 letter that laid out their views on the 2009 veterans’ budget, Democrats on the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee said they recognize that building a centralized information technology system takes time. But they said it would be nice to see some progress. Although it is unlikely to help Robinson, VA is working on an electronic records system called Virtual VA that involves scanning paper files into the computer system. But the House committee report said that effort “does not begin to realize the advantages that a true electronics benefits system can yield to veterans seeking benefits.” A symposium held in 2006 to look at issues facing Iraq and Afghanistan veterans included a discussion about lost paperwork. The final report of the National Symposium on the Needs of Young Veterans, which was sponsored by AmVets, said VA practices for handling paperwork should be audited to determine where documents are most likely to go astray. The report also recommended that managers be held accountable for lost paperwork. “The best protocol is worthless if the organization’s staff does not comply with it, and management tolerates the noncompliance,” the report says.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

x

x

x

It's really embarrasing how many millions$ have been spent on VA Electronics; not to mention them big security holes. If there's a vote, mine stays with Paper Records. ~Wings

Wings makes a very good point regarding the millions wasted by the VA. It seems that the U.S. government would be better served if a model electronic system was used by all agencies. It was my experience before I retired that almost every Federal agency that dealt with contracts had a separate electronic system.

Ron

Edited by Ron II

People are lazy, for the most part.I got SSD and 100%PT by doing as much of the work as possible, myself.I downloaded the forms I needed from the net, filled them out and when that form was for release of medical information from Doctors/ Hospitals I went to those places and sent in the information that the form ask for, with the form requesting that information. Same with employment history. In the case of SSD I did that on line. Most of the work is done once you type in your information. All they have to do is make a decision. 7 weeks! ;) The VA now offers online claim filing. I am sure that will shorten the process. Paper records will still be there but they will use the computer version to work on them. Put your self in their shoes. Joe blows file is the size of a dictionary. All you need to know is what Doctor No said.He types in Doctor No on his computer and it pops up in less than a second. That would make your claim go quick! Or he can look at that large file and decide to take a coffee break. May be slip your file back in the pile on the way to the break room. :(

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with conecuh. I did just about everything myself. I still work and should get 90% at some point. Anyway I am a security expert in the IT field. The problem is not the technology; it's the friends they give the contracts to. The VA system could run relatively smooth from an information stance if a company that wanted to make it work got the contract. Encryption is strong enough today that Vets would not need to worry about privacy within the system. The worry would be the humans that run the system. These companies want their solutions to fail so more of their friends can come in and make money. Oh and don't forgot it's also so claims don't get decided quickly. That would be a big hit to their budgets.

Mike, CISSP, CISA, CEH, CCNA, MCSE

Disabled Devil Dog 91-95

• HadIt.com Elder
I agree with conecuh. I did just about everything myself. I still work and should get 90% at some point. Anyway I am a security expert in the IT field. The problem is not the technology; it's the friends they give the contracts to. The VA system could run relatively smooth from an information stance if a company that wanted to make it work got the contract. Encryption is strong enough today that Vets would not need to worry about privacy within the system. The worry would be the humans that run the system. These companies want their solutions to fail so more of their friends can come in and make money. Oh and don't forgot it's also so claims don't get decided quickly. That would be a big hit to their budgets.

Mike, CISSP, CISA, CEH, CCNA, MCSE

Disabled Devil Dog 91-95

Are VA computer systems (IT) better than the Diebold voting machines (open to easy fraud)? Info Technology is only as good as the manual users --and I agree with your asessment of those friendly contracts and contractors -- I do have a bone to pick with the volume of outsourcing VA jobs to private "competative" contractors --even the VA is involved, in a sense in war profiteering --and a lot of wasted money. Anymore, technology seems designed to self destruct so that Bigger and Better machines can be purchased . . . and the bbeat goes on and on. ~Wings