VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Electronic System

Rate this question

Ron II

Question

From the 27 Mar 08 edition of the "Federal Times" (pardon me if this was posted previously).

Lawmakers urge progress In a Feb. 28 letter that laid out their views on the 2009 veterans’ budget, Democrats on the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee said they recognize that building a centralized information technology system takes time. But they said it would be nice to see some progress. Although it is unlikely to help Robinson, VA is working on an electronic records system called Virtual VA that involves scanning paper files into the computer system. But the House committee report said that effort “does not begin to realize the advantages that a true electronics benefits system can yield to veterans seeking benefits.” A symposium held in 2006 to look at issues facing Iraq and Afghanistan veterans included a discussion about lost paperwork. The final report of the National Symposium on the Needs of Young Veterans, which was sponsored by AmVets, said VA practices for handling paperwork should be audited to determine where documents are most likely to go astray. The report also recommended that managers be held accountable for lost paperwork. “The best protocol is worthless if the organization’s staff does not comply with it, and management tolerates the noncompliance,” the report says.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

It's really embarrasing how many millions$$$$ have been spent on VA Electronics; not to mention them big security holes. If there's a vote, mine stays with Paper Records. ~Wings

Unless you have actually been into a back room of the claims section youd never understand why this is such a GOOD idea. Seriously, at every flat surface there are claims files stacked 10 high.

Going all electronic makes sense, if it is done correctly. Honestly it will really help speed up the process.

Bob Smith

• HadIt.com Elder

What good timing, I found a form on myhellthyvet that states if I want access to my va electronic medical records ONLINE of all things, I can get it. The form requires me to have someone at the VA witness if it I am correct (sometimes it does happen!) and then the VA will allow me 24/7 access to my records online from the safety of my home or wherever. Imagine if our paper files could be scanned in, yipee!

$64 thousand dollar question; when and if it will occur.

Eh, Purple, I agree with ya bout the papers and the exposure of personal information. I too trust only a paper copy, even on the internet, if it involves benefits, money and immediate family - I print it out. Even reminded SIL's BIL to get SMRs copied with his military retirement next year. Best thing I ever done. Prior to discharge I copied all my records and lab slips, etc. After I asked VA for copy of SMRs, so many things were missing, like lab slips and even a few hospitalizations.

Yes modernizing records comes at a cost, but like many I learned common sense from the boot camp sergeant - ' it aint over till the paperworks done".

Cg

Unless you have actually been into a back room of the claims section youd never understand why this is such a GOOD idea. Seriously, at every flat surface there are claims files stacked 10 high.

Going all electronic makes sense, if it is done correctly. Honestly it will really help speed up the process.

Bob Smith

I agree with Bob 100 percent. The VA and some other government agencies are at least a decade behind the "electronic files processing concept." As discussed earlier by several, many government agencies have been using electronic files for decades. The National Science Foundation has one of the best systems I have seen. Everything is uploaded in PDF onto the NSF server by the applicant (for grants). I remember doing this in the mid 1990s--other systems have been in place for a longer period.

Ron