VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chapter 35

Rate this question

windy city

Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

thanks for the answer. another ? if I was awarded DEA on 10/04 but recieaved letter on 2/05 what is the actual date of awarded in 04 or 05.

the effective date of the award will be 10/04 the date you were awarded the benefit.

Dependent adult children have an age of 26 that can limit their DEA benefits-there is no age limit for wives or widows under DEA-

VA makes extensions to this age criteria under certain circumstances.

They also have to add any military time a dependent had.

This is something all vets with DEA eligibility for their families to consider-

My daughter could not go to college until after she served in the Mil.

She joined military while in high school.

Our Chapter 35 Award letters came days before she left for Lackland AFB- that claim took over 3 years.And 3 years of the delimiting retro EED had passed.

When she left the Military (7 years service) she applied for her Chapter 35 benefits but was one month away from age 26-the cut off date.

The VA awarded her seven years in which to obtain her degree.

(oddly enough she paid for most of her degree herself and is 9 credits from BS and is using either the GI bill or CHapter 35 for her Masters.)

I just realised she might be able to get VA to pay her retro on all that.

The cut off date is explained at the VA web site under the Educational Icon.

Edited by Berta

My oldest son (19) is currently using the Chap 35 benefits to go to college. Just remember that they only get paid for the actual months they are in school and that the payments don't begin until after school starts.....so you will have to pay any tuition and fees not covered by grants or loans up front and then wait for the Chap 35 $$$ to kick in.

There is a waiver to get the $$$ earlier---check with the VA office at the college---each college has one.

Glad you added that about the payments-

I always tied up via email with my VA counselor at the college and the VA Educational Dept every semester-stating the course I had paid for, how much I paid,my Student ID number, etc-and it went fairly smoothly-

then again it took 8 weeks to get one VA Chap 35 check and then I got 3 at the same time-once too-

Everuy college has a VA counselor who should be able to help with Chapter 35.My school never had a CHapter 35er before but still- all went well. A FAbulous benefit.

I understand that CHapter 35ers can apply for and receive Pell Grants as well as the VA Chap 35 $ .If I return to AMU I will look into that.