Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question For The Experts

Rate this question

Stu Sanders

Question

I have a question for the experts, I am on a private pension at my civilian job (State).

I don't contribute to SSI, however I do have the letter stating I am entitled to a retirement when I reach retirement, I have worked second jobs and of course the Army pays in too. The statement that come from SSI says I am not eligible for disability benifits. IF I am disabled due to injuries sustained in the Army in Iraq are there exceptions to the rule? As I proceed thru the MEB/PEB the process it is mentioned to apply for VA and SSI.

Thanks for any help

Stu

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't understand why you would not be eligible for SSD if you are disabled? I get SSD and VA and so do others who post here at Hadit. I think John999 has a better handle on what is ok with Federal Pensions so I will defer to him or anyone who knows the answer.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Stu-

Did you get the printout from Soc Sec showing the actual months that you contributed to Soc Sec? It would go all the way back to your very first job. This way you could make sure that they have all of your jobs on there---sometimes they miss something and this is why they say you aren't eligible.

Just my 2 cents worth...I'm by no means an expert.....

• HadIt.com Elder

I think it may be a question of not having enough quarters of paying into SSA. Does your state pension have provisions for disability retirement? I worked for the post office and I got a disability pension and SSDI and TDIU as well. There was some offset between the disability pension and SSDI but not TDIU. Each retirement system is different. Some will offset whatever you get from other disability pensions. Get a copy of the rules for your pension with the state and find out how much they will pay and if there is an offset for VA benefits or Army disability. Also, if you put in for workers compensation there is almost always an offset for any other benefit.

I have my 40 quarters, way more, the number of quarters and such are correct. My state job has a disability rating, although I haven't been retired yet. I get VA, and will either get severanced from the military or retired (PDRL). Because my primary job was with the state on state pension the only contributions were from second jobs and military (Guard Pay) and of course the deployment time I paid into SSI also. I think it has to with the amount of recent contributions or something, I can't find the statement from SSI now.

I just was thinking though a young soldier with only a few years of paying in is eligible for SSI, but because i was on a private pension I wasn't.

I guess I will have to wait and see, I don't know what the State will do with me when the military and VA finally get done rating me.

Thanks

Stu