VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• [[Block banner-logo-2024 is throwing an error]]
  • donate-be-a-hero.png

Spondylosis

Rate this question

tom91

Question

Heard today that the VA will increase my back disability from 10 to 20%. I mentioned it on previous notes that it was initially a result of a herniated disc. Need advice on whether I should file a new claim on spondylosis, which is spinal arthritis, since it is a result of the back injury. They should have seen this in the files I provided but I did not specify that I wanted disability for arthritis specifically. Don't have the VA letter yet to know how they made the decision for increase of 10% but don't think it is arthritis related as this would not match with the comp schedules I've seen for arthritis.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Shane is right. The VA uses the avoidance of pyramiding rule. They will not rate the same segment of the body for 2 different things, just the one that presents the most serious disability.

Now if your disk problem caused any radiculopathy, then the nerves that are effected warants a separate rating.

J

Heard today that the VA will increase my back disability from 10 to 20%. I mentioned it on previous notes that it was initially a result of a herniated disc. Need advice on whether I should file a new claim on spondylosis, which is spinal arthritis, since it is a result of the back injury. They should have seen this in the files I provided but I did not specify that I wanted disability for arthritis specifically. Don't have the VA letter yet to know how they made the decision for increase of 10% but don't think it is arthritis related as this would not match with the comp schedules I've seen for arthritis.

Tom,

What probably got you a low rating is ROM or range of motion.

You can get a higher rating, if you have severe episodes of being down and not being able to work, using meds, over the counter treatments and such.

A c & p exam questionaire would probably be very good to look over before you go to the exam when you file for rating increase.

As to filing for the arthritis, as mentioned, a waste of time.

Your best bet is filing for a rating increase and look at your ranges of motion and the above mentioned things.

You'll probably see and understand a bit better, once you read and understand what is requried and not for a rating increase for the lumbar.

Hope this helps.

Whoop