Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Spondylosis

Rate this question

tom91

Question

Heard today that the VA will increase my back disability from 10 to 20%. I mentioned it on previous notes that it was initially a result of a herniated disc. Need advice on whether I should file a new claim on spondylosis, which is spinal arthritis, since it is a result of the back injury. They should have seen this in the files I provided but I did not specify that I wanted disability for arthritis specifically. Don't have the VA letter yet to know how they made the decision for increase of 10% but don't think it is arthritis related as this would not match with the comp schedules I've seen for arthritis.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Shane is right. The VA uses the avoidance of pyramiding rule. They will not rate the same segment of the body for 2 different things, just the one that presents the most serious disability.

Now if your disk problem caused any radiculopathy, then the nerves that are effected warants a separate rating.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Heard today that the VA will increase my back disability from 10 to 20%. I mentioned it on previous notes that it was initially a result of a herniated disc. Need advice on whether I should file a new claim on spondylosis, which is spinal arthritis, since it is a result of the back injury. They should have seen this in the files I provided but I did not specify that I wanted disability for arthritis specifically. Don't have the VA letter yet to know how they made the decision for increase of 10% but don't think it is arthritis related as this would not match with the comp schedules I've seen for arthritis.

Tom,

What probably got you a low rating is ROM or range of motion.

You can get a higher rating, if you have severe episodes of being down and not being able to work, using meds, over the counter treatments and such.

A c & p exam questionaire would probably be very good to look over before you go to the exam when you file for rating increase.

As to filing for the arthritis, as mentioned, a waste of time.

Your best bet is filing for a rating increase and look at your ranges of motion and the above mentioned things.

You'll probably see and understand a bit better, once you read and understand what is requried and not for a rating increase for the lumbar.

Hope this helps.

Whoop