Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Keratoconus Rating

Rate this question

kookiebean2001

Question

I would like to hear stories of those soldiers with Keratoconus ratings. I'm 30% left eye. I've heard of people being rated for both eyes,that can't be true can it? One eye is considered a pair right like ears are considered a pair?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

a little more info I was diagnosed with Keratoconus when I was in service they gave me glasses first then contacts the first kind was hard center and soft skirt then hard ones after retiring is when i had the transplants after my corneas ruptured and scared them I was 20/400 the day of surgery and now around 20/30 i think i can wear either glasses or contacts even tried both at one point so should I go back and try to get service connected? what all info I need to do this?

I had corneal transplants in both eyes 2 years apart was your service connected mine was not they said it was genetic and denied it. I wear contacts and glasses either or and corrected vision is about 20/30 what process did you use?

Not an expert of course and was asking for more help.

I filed and it was turned down then someone else read it and I was granted, still fighting. If I were you, I would have appeal or file again, rule says if you develop it while in service and continues to bother you with medical documentation you have a case and if you are medically required to wear contacts and I am, it's 30%, my vision is getting worst. trying to find out how to get a higher rating. Hope that helps.

I can understand why you would like to find someone with this condition

and I imagine there are vets out there with it but probably they arent here at hadit.

I found 2 cases at the CAVC -all CAVC dockets are public record-so,under the docket numbers there might be address for the vets-

dont know if these will help at all

La Shirl Ramsey CAVC # 06-1698 Temp Total Disability rating extention for surgery -denied.

Philip Kinnaman CAVC # 90-784 -

"CONCLUSION

Accordingly, for the reasons stated above, the May 2, 1990, decision

of the BVA is REVERSED and the case REMANDED for an award of service

connection for bilateral keratoconus and for adjudication of the veteran's

claim of clear and unmistakable error in the 1977 AOJ decision."

Just long shots that they could be contacted-I wish we knew the outcome of the Kinnaman case-

I had 20 NYS lawyers tell me I didnt have basis for a FTCA wrongful death case against VA.In those days however-it was very hard to find malpractice lawyers because they were not allowed to advertise.

Still- I dont listen to adversity-

I won it myself-

You and I both know how persistence pays off.

What I dont understand is what you feel would be your next step here?

Is it for the 3 months Temp due to the surgery?

Berta, I hate to cut i here, but can you find ANYTHING on forced or coerced abortion.complications and scars left from a coerced, forced abortion. Thanks either way. Mystic

I too have Keratoconus in both eyes but only my left eye is severely effected. It was diagnosed while I was in the service and shortly after getting out in 1979 I went to the VA and they determined it was service connected but gave me a 0% rating. I didn't challenge this at the time as the keratoconus was in early stages . The VA did approve a contact for my left eye in the early 1980's but I wasn't able to tolerate wearing a contact. As time went by my keratoconus worsened in my left eye but my right eye stayed quite functional and I just adjusted to having one bad eye and one good eye. With information I've found on this forum and the internet in general I've discovered I'm most likely eligible for at least 30% disability. I've just started a claim to increase my existing rating and am quite sure it will be approved ( my vision in my left eye is 20-400+ and VA records will verify its been that way now for about 20+ years. I have a few questions maybe someone out there can help with:

1. Why was I not given 30% right away after I got out of the service. I provided the VA with a opthamologists letter stating that a contact was the best way to correct my left eye vision. Was 38CFR 4.84a not in effect yet?

2. Do you think I will be eligible for retro compensation. My VA rep I talked to doesn't think so .He feels my compensation will start from this new claim date and its basically my tough luck for not realizing I could have put in a claim to increase my rating when my vision got worse.

Thanks

I too have Keratoconus in both eyes but only my left eye is severely effected. It was diagnosed while I was in the service and shortly after getting out in 1979 I went to the VA and they determined it was service connected but gave me a 0% rating. I didn't challenge this at the time as the keratoconus was in early stages . The VA did approve a contact for my left eye in the early 1980's but I wasn't able to tolerate wearing a contact. As time went by my keratoconus worsened in my left eye but my right eye stayed quite functional and I just adjusted to having one bad eye and one good eye. With information I've found on this forum and the internet in general I've discovered I'm most likely eligible for at least 30% disability. I've just started a claim to increase my existing rating and am quite sure it will be approved ( my vision in my left eye is 20-400+ and VA records will verify its been that way now for about 20+ years. I have a few questions maybe someone out there can help with:

1. Why was I not given 30% right away after I got out of the service. I provided the VA with a opthamologists letter stating that a contact was the best way to correct my left eye vision. Was 38CFR 4.84a not in effect yet?

2. Do you think I will be eligible for retro compensation. My VA rep I talked to doesn't think so .He feels my compensation will start from this new claim date and its basically my tough luck for not realizing I could have put in a claim to increase my rating when my vision got worse.

Thanks

Welcome,

This is an outdated topic.

You might want to re-post it as a new topic.

Thanks