VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Re-evaluation

Rate this question

qwiksting

Question

Hello to all. I have a question. I just got a letter in the mail from the VA saying I was going to be scheduled for a C&P exam for my SC disability (ptsd). This will be a exam to re evaluate my current level of disability. I am currently 70% ptsd, 10% tennitus, 10% hand. I received my initial rating for ptsd in sep 06. What is this about?

I filed a claim for GERD and was denied, the mailbox had both denial letter and ptsd re exam. Does this happen to anyone else?

Iam on a whole lot of meds...trazadone, lorazapan, quietpine, sertaline, prozasin...any help or suggestions will help my anxiety levels

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

A service connected hand or foot that is severely damaged and fits "loss of use of " criteria in SMC regulations is the SMC "K" award.

38 USC 1114

You can find the entire blank C & P worksheet for the PTSD exam here by using our search feature.

Unless you have combat awards on your DD214 (CAR,CIB or PH) they need a proven inservice stressor for the etiology (cause) of the PTSD.

The meds dont really indicate the level of PTSD or even support the diagnosis.My husband at 30 % PTSD from 1983 to 1991,then at 100% PTSD from 1991 was only started on meds for PTSD a few months prior to his death from AO.

Ironically the VA even tried to reduce him to 10% in 1988 at the same time they began the malpractice that also caused his AO death.

As the VCAA letter you received stated (if it was a legal VCAA letter) they need proof of the inservice cause of your PTSD. Have you been able to supply them with enough evidence of that?

My point here is that meds alone do not rule in or out PTSD nor do the meds indicate the disabling level of the PTSD.

PTSD claims require a proven stressor that occurred in service.And a PTSD diagnosis due to the stressor.

Berta- where do you find the PTSD worksheet and what is AO ? that caused his death ? Thanks so much for your information I am a nurse and yes I am on meds for PTSD, and seeing a Psychiatrist,MD for this and I was sexually Traumatized in Basic training at FT knox, KY. 3 times by the same fellow and it was horrible, and all i did at that time was keep my mouth shut, because he told me he would leave me alone it was a black man that did this to me.

On another note, just curious, I am currently rated 70 % ptsd. Like I said , I had a re exam today for ptsd. If the examiner writes that I am doing worse, I.e. having trouble a work and such ect ect..,is it possible that they re rate me higher? I am afraid to be rated higher, simply because I still want to work. Work for me is therapy I think. Yes, I have trouble concentrating and doing my job. It is alot harder now than befor Iraq, but if I dont have a job, I absolutely have no life or purpose. Has anyone ever NOD with the va over a 100% rating? I know this sounds weird, but I really need a routine to help me. I told the examiner that even though I am having trouble at work (verified with letter from supervisor) I still need to go. she asked if I enjoyed work, and I told her no, I need a routine and a purpose and a reason to keep trying and not lose touch with reality.

How long did it take to after you filed did you get a rating and are you using the DAV or anyone to help you?-Bill

A service connected hand or foot that is severely damaged and fits "loss of use of " criteria in SMC regulations is the SMC "K" award.

38 USC 1114

Berta- can you tell me where i can find that or if you can tell me what it means? what is SMC "K" award and what is the amount? thanks-Bill

QuickSting,

Two things came to my mind when I read "I am having trouble at work (verified with letter from supervisor) I still need to go. she asked if I enjoyed work, and I told her no, I need a routine and a purpose and a reason to keep trying and not lose touch with reality."

First, do you have problems losing touch with reality? Do you ever have a psychotic component (hear voices/whispers/sounds, see things that aren't there, etc) to your PTSD? If so, those are VA sx of 100% and you would want to let your doc know as well as tell the C&P examiner.

Second, you are doing what my shrink (non VA,I use my VA to self pay for a very experienced shrink close by that I can see weekly) has been encouraging me to do - get a routine (external structure - in your case, your work schedule) and a purpose (your job). It doesn't matter if you "like" it or not, the fact that you are going to work is good for you and I applaud your continued efforts to work. Hang in there.

I am surprised that the C&P examiner took your employer's letter. If you have not already formally (as in certified mail w/ return receipt) submitted your employer's letter to the VARO, do so ASAP. Should there come a time when you are no longer able to work, having this employer letter in your cfile should be good evidence of how your va sc disability affects your work performance.

Hang in there and keep us posted on the outcome.

Thanks,

TS Snave

• In Memoriam
On another note, just curious, I am currently rated 70 % ptsd. Like I said , I had a re exam today for ptsd. If the examiner writes that I am doing worse, I.e. having trouble a work and such ect ect..,is it possible that they re rate me higher? I am afraid to be rated higher, simply because I still want to work. Work for me is therapy I think. Yes, I have trouble concentrating and doing my job. It is alot harder now than befor Iraq, but if I dont have a job, I absolutely have no life or purpose. Has anyone ever NOD with the va over a 100% rating? I know this sounds weird, but I really need a routine to help me. I told the examiner that even though I am having trouble at work (verified with letter from supervisor) I still need to go. she asked if I enjoyed work, and I told her no, I need a routine and a purpose and a reason to keep trying and not lose touch with reality.

That is what I did for so many years. I needed the routine to keep from completely losing it. Just keep doing what you are doing until you can't continue. You already have the 70% and will not have to fight the battle that I did starting from scratch. You are prepared in case of a colapse. You will pick up SSI quarters and have the time to sort out so much that is confusing. Work gives us time... Good luck...

Edited by Stretch