VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gaf

Rate this question

DeeDee

Question

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

55 is a borderline, our expert used to tell us 100% for 50 or below. Are you able to work?he GAF is subjective and only a small part of the decision. Good Luck on your claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

When a GAF score is high, the VA will use it to award 10%, when it is low, then they ignore it, citing that it is only part of the evaluation picture.

For a GAF of 55 the maximum you could expect would be 30%, but you'll probably get 10%, if they accept a nexus.

• HadIt.com Elder

55 falls in middle of these symptoms and should be compensated in my opinion

Moderate symptoms (e.g., flat affect and circumstantial speech, occasional panic attacks) OR moderate difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., few friends, conflicts with peers or co-workers).

Guest Jim S.

Did I miss something, what is DeeDee's diagnosis? If it is for PTSD, then they can expect a low ball rating regardless of the GAF. If it is for a mental disorder then the same can be said. The evidence must match the GAF before the VA will even look at it.

Now for the second item I may have missed. Here at hadit, we do not condem a member, least of all a new member for trying to get answers to their questions, especially when they haven't heard the whole story.

Usually we try and get the person to give us more information, so that we can understand more fully that the answers we dp gove, apply to their Claim.

It's like what we tell the VA, do not assume anything not in evidence as fact.

Anyone and everyone is welcome here until they prove and/or show they are in deed not welcomed and I am sure by then, they will have been asked to quietly leave in a polite but stern manner by the Web managers or their access I'm sure will be restricted to eyes only.

Now back to the business at hand, DeeDee, I for one apologize for the harsh treatment you received and I'm sure others will agree, But we do need additional information so that we can make an informed answer to your question, an open end question such as yours can be interpreted in many different ways depending on the specifics of your claim. So could you please further inlighten us as to what you are applying the GAF for?

We really am to please.

Jim S. :D

My GAF was 68 and I was awarded 10 percent. Hopefully you will end up with more. In my case, although I had records stating I was being seen for depression, the actual mental health records weren't included in my claim. If yours were, you could end up with more. My GAF score was provided by a VA doc who spent less than 10 minutes with me.

• HadIt.com Elder

the GAF is only part of the rating, my GAF was 52 on the C&P exam, GAF's can fluctuate from 30-65 all in the same day it depends on what is happening that day. So a 10 minute interview should not be the only basis, I am appealing my rating of 50% due to a 2 year documented history of GAF's of 30-35 and a statement by my treating shrink that says he considers my condition permanent and total in nature. He is also the head of psychiatry at the VA hospital I go to, if they can;t take his medical notes who can they take? I expect you will get a 10% or 30% rating, if you feel it is to low I suggest you file a NOD and state why you feel the award rating is wrong, get copies of all your treatment records and highlight all the GAF scores they have assigned,, if you can afford it get a private pyschiatrist to assess you and write an independent medical opinion. Beleieve it or not the VARO does not always look at all the GAF scores you have been given at VA treatment sessions. They use only the C&P one and that hurts claims all the time. Appeal and keep appealing until you are satisfied.