VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Can't Find My Army Dental Records.

Rate this question

Maurice

Question

How can a veteran file a claim without his dental records? Please need help.........................

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Do you have a copy of your military medical records? I don't mean to sound harsh; but I don't believe it's the VAs responsibility to get medical or dental records......it's the vets.

Why? Because it's not the VAs claim....it's yours and the VA just doesn't care. Like I said, not meaning to sound harsh...just how it is. You need to get these records on your own, make your own copies and then submit the copies. The VA will tell you they can't find them just to drag their feet.

Good luck!

The VA bares the burden of locating a veteran's service medical records. When a person's leaves the service, his or her medical records are suppose to be warehoused by the government. Unfortunately, some veterans are given their official medical records, so they are never received by the government. Private treatment records the agency (VA) will request on a veteran's behalf, but the claimant has the ultimate responsibility of ensuring that those private records are received by the VA.

Assuming you were not given your military medical records upon separation, they should have been forwarded to the NPRC. If they were forwarded there, and those records cannot be found--you will have a difficult time proving your claim, even if the government misplaced the records.

Maurice,

One avenue you can try is to look up your military dentist(s) on the internet. If they are still practicing and remember you and will write a letter on your behalf, you can send this in as medical evidence - which the VA will promptly ignore, you appeal, and then you win.

Or at least that's how it happened for me when St Louis told me they didn't have any records for me before I sbumitted my VA claim. I hadn't been seen in the Army for over 20 years but was able to find both the treating psychiatrist and psychologist who treated me on active duty who both verified they had treated me at the mental health clinic 20+ years ago. One was retired and the other still on active duty.

I know it's a long shot but I'm drawing 100% P&T and without their letters attesting treatment while on active duty I wouldn't have had a claim. When I got my C-file the record showed that the VA had tried multiple times to get SMRs from St Louis to no avail so I would have been dead in the water without the letters from my active duty treating shrinks.

Good luck with your claim,

TS Snave