Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Questions Re: Ms & Viet Nam/ Need Opinions Please

Rate this question

57tom

Question

I have MS and I was stationed in Germany in 1976-1977. As I am reading about MS and vets, it seems that Agent Orange was the factor if a vet was stationed in VietNam. Those appear to be the vets that are successful in receiving compensation.

I don't think I came in contact with Agent Orange because I was in Germany.

I received the immunizations of who knows what. I was also gassed a few times in training

Do I even bother to apply?

How would I answer the question of "how is my disability related to my service in the military"?

Are there any other factors that I am unaware of?

I've just begun looking into all of this.

Thanks-

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thank you, Allan.

I had no symptoms until I was out of the army. I had has slight symptoms of numbness in hands & legs which I blew off at them time. Hell, I was in my early 20s. They would always go away. My first major symptom was about 6 years after when 1/2 of my body went numb and the doctor put me in the hospital. They ran tests and treated me with steroids. Those symptoms slowly went away. At that time there were no MRIs. The doctor suspected MS. There are no records of that because it was too long ago. I could get a letter from that doctor because I still know him.

So any records from the army wouldn't show any symptoms.

The "firm" diagnosis came a few years later when I had my first MRI (after the 7 years). But its been too long for those records to be around.

Does being treated by VA do me any good?

I am being treated at the VA now and for the last 11 years or so, because of the prescription program which is much better than thru my health insurance. Prior to that I made "too" much money to qualify for care at va, but then they changed their rules. I am fortunate that I am still able to work full-time.

So it's not looking good for my case, huh? Thanks again for your time.

I have MS and I was stationed in Germany in 1976-1977. As I am reading about MS and vets, it seems that Agent Orange was the factor if a vet was stationed in VietNam. Those appear to be the vets that are successful in receiving compensation.

I don't think I came in contact with Agent Orange because I was in Germany.

I received the immunizations of who knows what. I was also gassed a few times in training

Do I even bother to apply?

How would I answer the question of "how is my disability related to my service in the military"?

Are there any other factors that I am unaware of?

I've just begun looking into all of this.

A veteran files a claim seeking compensation for a disability, arguing it is due to mustard gas exposure while stationed overseas. The veteran provides the dates that he/she was overseas. Review of military records confirms he/she was overseas during the dates provided in the claim. However, there is not a single mention in any of the records that the veteran was exposed to mustard gas. Thus, the claim was denied.

Concerning MS some raters are convinced that if it is not diagnosed within the presumptive period then the claim cannot be granted. However, I think if symptoms are shown in service or within the seven year window, the disability can be granted if a medical examiner provides a medical opinion linking the earlier symptoms and the current diagnosis and provides a strong rational for the opinion.

Thanks-

• HadIt.com Elder

57tom,

you bet. Get that letter from the doctor while you still can. That is what you need to prove your MS started within the 7 yr period.

[Does being treated by VA do me any good?]

IF you can get those Doctors evaluations and work ups for MS the VAMC did, Yes they will help. Their notations on symptoms, medications etc is what you need if MRI's are not available. They only keep MRI's 5 yrs at the VAMC's.

MS is often diagnosed on treatment records. Visual problems were the first for me. I would loose some vision, than get it back again. Blurred vision, Ocular inflammation. Legs would go numb.

Get every health record you can from the VAMC along with your diagnoses of MS and decide witch is your strongest evidence to send in.

Goerge Patton gives good advice.

[i think if symptoms are shown in service or within the seven year window, the disability can be granted if a medical examiner provides a medical opinion linking the earlier symptoms and the current diagnosis and provides a strong rational for the opinion.]

"and provides a strong rational for the opinion"

I have a couple questions? Why do VA raters, never, never have to do the same thing, when they apply no weight to your IMOs? Why do contracted IMO's the DVA obtains, lack the same medical rational or make an attemp to discredit the professional ones you've sent them?

Edited by allan

57 Tom

If you are pretty sure you suffered these conditions due to military service, then you should apply right away. You probably want to find a Veterans Service Officer to help you.

Even tho you may not be able to "prove" your case right now, apply anyway. The law says that the VA has a "Duty to Assist" you with your claim.

The reasons you should apply now:

1) Your health is unlikely to get better over the years, and, even if you dont need those health benefits now, you may well need them in 10 years.

2) The VA tells people it takes an average of 6 months to process a claim. Even tho some of the VA offices have been caught at "faking" dates to make their numbers look better, you are HIGHLY UNLIKELY to get a check after 6 months. In my case, I applied on April 4, 2002, and I finally was DENIED IU benefits on April 13, 2008, more than 6 YEARS Later. And NOW, I can appeal. Yea..they "processed" part of my claim, but "forgot" about Individual Unemployability (IU) for more than 6 years. The reality: It will take you years and years and years to finally be awarded benefits due to you. If you dont think so, just ask some of the other people on hadit..carlie, Bell, hundreds of others. These are people who have fought the VA for years to get their benefits, along with me.

I waited at least 3 years before I applied for benefits, after I thought I may be eligible, and I truly wish I had not waited. Even tho I have only been awarded "partial" VA benefits, I could sure use another 3 years of retro, right now.

Bottom LIne: WAITING TO APPLY FOR VA BENEFITS COULD COST YOU THOUSANDS

Two good friends of mine from high school (class of "67") just turned 60 years old. One was Army airborne serving on DMZ Korea 1968-70, the other was Navy Seabee with Vietnam service,same dates. Both exposed to Agent Orange. They grew up two blocks from each other, best of friends. Both diagnosed with MS about a year apart some 15 years after military service. MS is not on the presumptive list of Agent Orange illnesses. Hopefully, someday it will be given the same consideration as ALS-Lou Gehrig's Disease. Coincidence(?) You tell me. Currently, both men are patients in a nursing home nearby, I visit them almost daily. One is paraplegic and the other is a quad. VARO denied service connection on both with long-lengthy appeals years back. *My recommendation to you is to find the best neuromuscular physician's you can locate for opinions--then find a good veteran's attorney for your VA Compensation claim---get ready for a long fight with the VA (unless the laws are changed). Hopefully, you were diagnosed within or near the 7-year presumptive period. File your claim for VA Comp as soon as possible--fight the VA tooth and nail.

• HadIt.com Elder

I did not go to Viet Nam but I am pretty sure I was exposed to Agent Orange in Germany. I even know where they kept it which was right next to where I worked. I also used cleaning solvents to clean electronic equipment.

I have had severe Diabetes II since I was about 50. I come from a very large family and I am the only one and I know that I got it in the Army just can't prove it except the Army did give me three glucose tolerance tests which is looking for some kind of sugar problem. I remember the Doc saying I had a peculiar response but not diabetes. They thought it had something to do with my panic attacks.

Pete