Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% For My Husband - First Time

Rate this topic

docndiane

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am the Navy wife and ex-Navy member who's husband was diagnosed and teated for hypertension while in the military. After getting out and still be treated for was diagnosed with severe hypertension, he had a hemmorhagic stroke at the age of 46. He lost complete use of his left side, both arm and leg. The doctor's are prtty certain this is permanant. He is completely unable to get out of bed by himself and my dad has moved in with us permanantly so that I can work during the day and I have peace of mind that he is being well taken care of. We immediately applied for ss disability and we were granted that within 3 months. Then I thought that maybe because he was diagnosed and treated for hypertension while serving, maybe we could get compensation. Well we applied last October, and I have been checking the hadiit boards for answers and a little faith that the VA would come through. We got the letter. As of October 26, 2007, the VA says that my husband is considered 100% service connected for the loss of an arm and leg, 20% service connected for hypertension and 10% service connected for the secodary which was the stroke, in other words, the actual bleed. They also approved him for special monthly compensation. Well, I was hoping, just for 100%, I mean the savings alone in not having to pay real estate taxes would have been a blessing, but I was not prepared for the amount that my husband read to me over the phone - over $6000 a month. I am waiting for the VA to send a letter saying they made a grave mistake :) I am still in shock, everyone, I thought $2700 would have been awesome, I just simply was not prepared for this. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I can't thank everyone enough for all of the advice and support and I just wanted to share that with you. This is just another example of how things sometimes do go right :lol: Thanks everyone

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

:) God Bless you both,

Cg

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

• Founder

i am so relieved for you, it must have taken a hell of a burden off all 3 of you. thank you for your service and your husbands service. make sure you check out any state benefits available to you and also you may be able to get a grant to adapt your home for his needs.

really this is just well i can't find a word for it but it's good hang in sister and give your husband a strong salute and a hug for me.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am the Navy wife and ex-Navy member who's husband was diagnosed and teated for hypertension while in the military. After getting out and still be treated for was diagnosed with severe hypertension, he had a hemmorhagic stroke at the age of 46. He lost complete use of his left side, both arm and leg. The doctor's are prtty certain this is permanant. He is completely unable to get out of bed by himself and my dad has moved in with us permanantly so that I can work during the day and I have peace of mind that he is being well taken care of. We immediately applied for ss disability and we were granted that within 3 months. Then I thought that maybe because he was diagnosed and treated for hypertension while serving, maybe we could get compensation. Well we applied last October, and I have been checking the hadiit boards for answers and a little faith that the VA would come through. We got the letter. As of October 26, 2007, the VA says that my husband is considered 100% service connected for the loss of an arm and leg, 20% service connected for hypertension and 10% service connected for the secodary which was the stroke, in other words, the actual bleed. They also approved him for special monthly compensation. Well, I was hoping, just for 100%, I mean the savings alone in not having to pay real estate taxes would have been a blessing, but I was not prepared for the amount that my husband read to me over the phone - over $6000 a month. I am waiting for the VA to send a letter saying they made a grave mistake :) I am still in shock, everyone, I thought $2700 would have been awesome, I just simply was not prepared for this. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I can't thank everyone enough for all of the advice and support and I just wanted to share that with you. This is just another example of how things sometimes do go right :) Thanks everyone

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• HadIt.com Elder

This is really a heart warming story and I for one am happy for you and your husband. Maybe with a little prayer and hope these stories may become the norm rather than the exception, with VA claims.

" In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a Congress"

- John Adams

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use