Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Loss

Rate this question

roadking

Question

Hello All, I Have been going through my active duty med records and found that when I had my induction physical for the navy my hearing was fine. fast forward 3 years and had a hearing test when I was changing commands they noted hearing loss on the report for medical examination plus I have copies of both audiometer readouts. I was a pit snipe down 3 main on the JFK CV 67. As of present my hearing is not to good do you think I can make a claim for service connection for hearing loss.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello All, I Have been going through my active duty med records and found that when I had my induction physical for the navy my hearing was fine. fast forward 3 years and had a hearing test when I was changing commands they noted hearing loss on the report for medical examination plus I have copies of both audiometer readouts. I was a pit snipe down 3 main on the JFK CV 67. As of present my hearing is not to good do you think I can make a claim for service connection for hearing loss.

A pit sniper in 3 main. I was a MM in 2 main machinery room when I was in the service. I served aboard another air craft carrier. Last to leave and first to return. Sometimes, 6 and 6 whle underway. Anyway, anyone familiar with machinery rooms know that the noise one is continously exposed to can cause serious damage. With what you have described, I would think you have an at least as likely than not chance of receiving sc.

No test for tinnitus. They can play around with tones to help you get an idea of frequency that the ringing is close too. You basically just tell them you hear it and that you've heard it since the onset in service or whenever it started.

If it bothers you when you try to sleep, try using a small fan to mask the noise. So far there is no real treatment for it.

Mark

Roadking, I have recently been awarded %10 for hearing loss. I have been SC for hearing loss for almost 10 yrs at %0. I might be able to help by explaining my process. First you should know that you can be SC for hearing loss but at a %0 rating. Second, any percentage higher than that will be based primarily on Speech discrimination. While I, for example, am nearly deaf in my left ear (70 db loss average) and severely impaired in my right, (60 db loss average) my speech recognition remained above %90 in my right ear. This kept me from being eligible for compensable rating. So During the C&P when they test you you will take the standard audiogram and a Maryland Speech recognition test. During the Test they will do a "Stenger Test" to test reliability of response. This is essentially a test to weed out cheaters. I was not aware of it for the longest time as I was not concerned about cheating. Being %0 percent does have the advantage of being supplied with Aids if you need them and the VA has always taken very good care of me in that area. I was awarded my %10 for tinnitus without asking for it because they discovered it at the audiogram and they were nice enough to add it to my claim for me. the interesting thing about tinnitus is that it is linked to your hearing loss, when you lose hearing in certain frequencies your brain tries to replace that noise and produces the "ringing". Good luck with you C&P and I hope this has clarified some of the process for you.

Dizzyvet

Thanks for the post about 10% for tinnitus. I'm making my first application for VA compensation and need to add this. As I get older, all those injuries from the military are starting to take their toll. On my discharge physicial I was marked as 20% hearing loss in my left ear. Since I left, I have had severe ringing in my left ear. I went to an ENT and also diagnosed me with Mineares disease due to the frequent vertigo. The vertigo comes and goes but this dang tinnitus is insane!!. 10% for this is not a bad deal!

ta,

Miniere's is a separate disability from hearing loss and Tinnitus,

that would be three separate issues.

Depending on the Medical Evidence Miniere's with vertigo can provide

compensation upto 100%.

Go here and check out Diagnostic Code 6502.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/jul...f/38cfr4.87.pdf

Just to set things straight - a claimant DOES NOT have to be SC'd

for Hearing Loss inorder for VA to provide you Hearing Aids.

For a claimant to get Hearing Aids and Eyewear through VA

they just need to be at least 10 % SC'd, for any disability.

jmho,

carlie

Edited by carlie