Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Scandisk Won't Run In Windows Vista

Torvald

Hi everybody,

I've gradually become pretty knowledgeable about Windows XP, but know very little (so far) about Windows Vista.

Well, my daughter's laptop computer came with Windows Vista installed, and it has a harddisk drive problem she needs my help fixing.

It seems she is unable to get the scandisk utility to run if she checks the box asking it to automatically fix errors that are found. It says it can't run a check while the diskdrive is busy, and will instead run it the next time Windows Vista restarts.

However, when Windows Vista restarts, it says there is a problem with the harddrive and a disk scan is needed, then the scandisk program starts to run, and then it quits, with a message saying it was not able to run. No explanation why, though.

Does anyone have an idea on how we could force scandisk to run with the boxes checked asking it to automatically correct errors and to search for & fix bad sectors?

Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

If the Scandisk was originally operating fine on a computer running Windows XP.....then open up the Scandisk program, go to "tools" (I believe it's "tools") and go to "compatibility" and set it to run in Windows XP........Vista will, supposedly, run the Scandisk program in a psuedo Windows XP while making it compatible with Vista....or someting lak dat.

I hate Vista......I hate Vista......I hate Vista

ScanDisk doesn't exist in Vista . You now need to use

the 'chkdsk' command. You can either do this from the drive properties,

click the tools tab and then select error checking, or you can run chkdsk

directly from the command prompt. With the command prompt you do need to be

in 'elevated' mode to run chkdsk. To run the command prompt in elevated mode

right click on the command prompt and select 'run as administrator or

Click computer right click select property's select tools tab click on the "Check now" box and click continue and start, hope this helps...Rich

I recommend the first, OH! and reboot scan

Edited by yoggie2

• Founder

i hate vista, me too! i like macs, if you have to have windows, xp is probably better than vista, on my mac i run xp in a window on the mac so it gives me the best of both worlds.

If the Scandisk was originally operating fine on a computer running Windows XP.....then open up the Scandisk program, go to "tools" (I believe it's "tools") and go to "compatibility" and set it to run in Windows XP........Vista will, supposedly, run the Scandisk program in a psuedo Windows XP while making it compatible with Vista....or someting lak dat.

I hate Vista......I hate Vista......I hate Vista

ScanDisk doesn't exist in Vista . You now need to use

the 'chkdsk' command. You can either do this from the drive properties,

click the tools tab and then select error checking, or you can run chkdsk

directly from the command prompt. With the command prompt you do need to be

in 'elevated' mode to run chkdsk. To run the command prompt in elevated mode

right click on the command prompt and select 'run as administrator or

Click computer right click select property's select tools tab click on the "Check now" box and click continue and start, hope this helps...Rich

I recommend the first, OH! and reboot scan

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try this weekend.

P.S. Got your PM, so will give you a call if the above method doesn't work (or if I'm too brain dead/fumble fingers to figure it out properly). :angry: