VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New To The Va Maze

Rate this question

jecsb4

Question

Well I had 6 years active duty 81-87 and am still in the reserves and was called up for Operation Enduring Freedom twice (stateside). Back in Feb 04, I filed for C&P for warious health issues (hernias, flat feet, hammer toes, migraines, blood clots in legs, severed wrist liginament and depression.

It wasn't until June 05 that I got scheduled for 5 physicals - Gen Med, psychology, Internal, VAS surgery, neurology. In Sept I requested copies of the exams from the Houston VARO. I STILL HAVENT RECEIVED THEM. Then in Dec the scheduled a another Gen Med exam. I was out of town and submitted a request to reschedule. THen they send me a letter saying they are backloged and they have all the info that they need.

Why would they want another exam, and why havent I received my coopies of the exams?

I calle my SO and he said my file was in Cleaveland Ohio. WHY? When I called the VA earlier they said my file was in adjudication. What is that?

So I wait. Should I make a 2nd request for my exams or wait to I get a rating? I would like tt know the steps to appeal. DO I have 120 day? WHo do I contact?

Since I have 3 more years in the reserves before I decide to retire, If I am awarded and monies, Is that money offset from reserve pay before taxes?

What happens once I turn 60 and draw retired pay? Is the VA C&P offset by my reserve pay? If so that sucks!!

THansk for the advice.

Joe

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am thinking that your claim might have gone to the Appeals Management Team- they check the VARO for errors in the adjudication- yeah right- it is often a stall tactic-

the AMC didnt catch many errors in one of my vets claims- just stalled the decision further-

I think you should go to the VA web site- and get to the query page under Benefits-Comp-

and send your VARO an email-as a service complaint- asking them what you asked us here-

they should have sent your stuff by now- then again at this point it could add more time for them to copy it all- still it sure pays to have copies of the C & P results because the VA can often manipulate the results of these exams in their decisions.

Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Joe:

Just wanted to welcome you to Hadit. There is a ton of info on the Hadit Web Page and usually someone will answer most of your questions.

The main thing is don't give up on your claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

welcome to our world, the best advice I can give you is take the time to learn the rules, ask questions, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask, we were all where you are now in the claims process, your file was sent to Cleveland because your VARO is over loaded and it might be 2 years before they handled it, be glad they sent it out to another location, if you don't agree with what they do, appeal it, and if they do offset your retirement with VA compensation at least the VA comp isn't taxable where retirement pay is, so there is advantages...

Might be faster and easier to request your whole c-file. It's good to have the whole thing anyway. Your C&P exam results will be in there. (better be). Like Testvet said, your c-file is at another VARO because of backlog at your current VARO. Claims that are ready to rate are sent out. If at first they reqested another exam and then decided they don't need one, I'd be ready for appeal. If a decision is questionable in your favor, you can bet that you'd get the exam. That is just opinion though, and not always true. You have 1 year to appeal a decision at the VARO level. 120 days if it is a BVA decision.

Time

Thanks everyone for the help in this crazy mess!!

Well I had 6 years active duty 81-87 and am still in the reserves and was called up for Operation Enduring Freedom twice (stateside). Back in Feb 04, I filed for C&P for warious health issues (hernias, flat feet, hammer toes, migraines, blood clots in legs, severed wrist liginament and depression.

It wasn't until June 05 that I got scheduled for 5 physicals - Gen Med, psychology, Internal, VAS surgery, neurology. In Sept I requested copies of the exams from the Houston VARO. I STILL HAVENT RECEIVED THEM. Then in Dec the scheduled a another Gen Med exam. I was out of town and submitted a request to reschedule. THen they send me a letter saying they are backloged and they have all the info that they need.

Why would they want another exam, and why havent I received my coopies of the exams?

I calle my SO and he said my file was in Cleaveland Ohio. WHY? When I called the VA earlier they said my file was in adjudication. What is that?

So I wait. Should I make a 2nd request for my exams or wait to I get a rating? I would like tt know the steps to appeal. DO I have 120 day? WHo do I contact?

Since I have 3 more years in the reserves before I decide to retire, If I am awarded and monies, Is that money offset from reserve pay before taxes?

What happens once I turn 60 and draw retired pay? Is the VA C&P offset by my reserve pay? If so that sucks!!

THansk for the advice.

Joe

Will you be given a medical discharge from the reserves if you are granted VA compensation?