Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cardiac Hyperthrophy

Rate this question

Ron II

Question

Reference: 7011

1. Can anyone explain why a person who has LVH is not rated at 30 percent?

From 7011:

Workload of greater than 5 METs but not greater than 7 METs 30

results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope,

or; evidence of cardiac hypertrophy or dilatation on

electrocardiogram, echocardiogram, or X-ray................30 Percent

2. Although ejection faction is not mentioned in the reference above, what if the EF is within normal range, BUT there is evidence of cardiac hypertrophy or dilatation on

electrocardiogram, echocardiogram, or X-ray? Note: There is no EF caveat in the "evidence of etc., section.

Thanks,

Ron

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[all the info following is from previous posts]

(john999 @ Nov 6 2008, 04:07 PM) post_snapback.gifRon

The VA said on my echo that I had LVH but the C&P exam said I had no heart problems at all. How can that be? I take HBP pills because my private doctor said that LVH and HBP is a sign the heart is working too hard. The VA did say I had vascular artery disease. All this is secondary to DMII. I got a 0% rating.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Ron, When I became SC for heart disease I was awarded 30 percent for Cardiac Hypertrophy.

Cardiac hypertriophy is the actual thickening of the heart muscle.

A heart can be enlarged without thickening.

Enlarged heart is called Cardiomegaly.

It is likely that a person with an enlarged heart also has cardiac hypertriophy but xrays often dont show it, That is why you should have an echo or cath.

Xray evidence is OK, but a Cardiac Catherization is the ultimate test that is considered undisputable.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ron is this cardiovascular c&p new? Do you have a seperate or same diagnosis from civ Dr? When I looked up the codes in cardiovascular there are alot of similar sounding descriptions. Interesting as you said, the Ejection Fraction isnt mentioned for 7011 code. More Greek to me, Wonder if there is a supplemental change to the diagnostic criteria for your condition. If I see something, will let you know.

Best to ya,

Cg'Up!

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Ron, I had to fight tooth and nail to get my heart connected, to the point where a heart attack occured to actually connect the dot to my db2 DX. Now my heart is 60% becuse of my LV is 44% with damge to the heart muscle. They still only gave me back to the date of my attack and not when I filed 18 months earlier.

Good luck on your claim but as jbasser said a cath is golden rule!

My thanks to all who replied.

I already have a SC for Sick Sinus Bradycardia which necessitated a cardiac pacemaker. I'm currently rated at 10 percent. I have appealed that rating plus I submitted new and material evidence from my private cardiologist whose written medical evaluation included the fact that I have Concentric Left Ventricle Hypertrophy (his words). This was found during an Echocardiogram.

What worried me is that John999 has a similar evaluation by the VA via Echo or X-ray and he didn't receive any SC. Also, my ejection faction is not out of the normal range. However, I don't see

that being a prerequisite to a 30 percent rating based on the rating guideline I cited in my first post.

I have not had a new C&P; actually this is all old information since I've brought it up previous. However, I feel my C-File might be reviewed in January 09 (and I think I might get let down again) :angry: as the VACOLS screen reportedly shows my file is "ready to rate" and there is a January 17th tickler date in the diary of VACOLS. I know that might not mean anything.

Thanks,

Ron

Edited by Ron II

• HadIt.com Elder

Ron, If that be the case, then you should shoot a letter to them stating the regs as you were diagnosed with an Echo with LVH.

and any rating below 10 percent is a CUE because the regs were improperly applied. If this is not a final decision, then state that the VA should cue itself based on the same criteria.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.