VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Niacin

Rate this topic

• In Memoriam

Found this on VAwatchdog.org today.

Lisinopril (Prinivil) plus potassium can elevate blood-potassium levels and disrupt heart rhythm.Warfarin (Coumadin) plus simvastatin (Zocor) can increase bleeding risk.Warfarin (Coumadin) plus aspirin can increase bleeding risk.Atorvastatin (Lipitor) plus niacin can cause muscle weakness, muscle breakdownSimvastatin (Zocor) and niacin can cause muscle weakness and muscle breakdown.Ginkgo plus aspirin can increase bleeding risk.

http://www.vawatchdog.org/08/nf08/nfdec08/nf122408-7.htm

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am up this morning cause I am burning all over. I took 1000 mg niacin pill that I am supposed to take every night before I go to bed to help raise my good cholesterol. I wish that there is something more that I could do to get it to go up. I have read that drinking a couple of glasses of red wine would improve it? Exercise is not an option for me at this particular time.

hahahahahaha...

I worked in a hospital pharmacy a while back, and popped a high dose of Niacin, and I turned beet red...EVERYTHING was beet red!!! hahahaha...

I was told the same...to drink lots of water. My urine was dark orange, so it cleaned me out real good!

You do feel good afterwards to.

• 1 month later...
I am up this morning cause I am burning all over. I took 1000 mg niacin pill that I am supposed to take every night before I go to bed to help raise my good cholesterol. I wish that there is something more that I could do to get it to go up. I have read that drinking a couple of glasses of red wine would improve it? Exercise is not an option for me at this particular time.

Pete, I sent you a e-mail message, but will post here also for everyone who may need to see it:

I just read your problem with Niacin. I had the same problem for a long time, but the VA Formulary has a Time Release Niacin...it's called Niaspan. I take 1000 MG EVERY night and can absolutely NEVER tell I've taken it, it has NO side effects, the flushing and redness is GONE. I guarantee it will work for you and the VA supplies it. I take it and Tricor 45MG for Tryglycerides...never had ANY problem with Chloresterol except bad Chlorestrol was too high, this combination or Tricor and Niaspan has lowered my bad chlorestrol and taken my Tryglercides down from 650 to betewwn 100-150 (acceptable), I have use these 2 prescriptions for years with no problems at all. I had my first Colonoscopy 3 days ago, for those who have been putting it off, you need to do it if you are over 50, I will be 61 on Feb 22. I can testify that it is nothing to it. I was all clear, NO polyps, so no exam for another 10 years. If there is any thing unpleasant at all, it is doing without food the day before the procedure and drinking the almost 1/2 gallon of liquid prep the night before, and it's not bad...you drink 8 ounces every 10 minutes. Mix in the morning and start at 6 pm drinking it, if you keep putting the next 8 oz glass in the freezer when you drink each one, it is much easier to drink chilled real cold!

I agree with jesse, my doc got me on Niaspan (niasin) and he said it might cause me to get hot feelings in facial area, kinda like when your wife gets hot/cold flashes. It never happened to me and works well.