Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Read If Your Planning To File For Ssdi.

Rate this question

tagandbag

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would like to share something with the board, about using an attorney to get SSDI. I was recently awarded SSDI a couple of months ago. I used an attorney I thought. When I contacted and signed up with the attorney on 07/10/08, I had allready filed for SSDI, on 06/26/08. When signing with the attorney they had a form to sign which gave them authority to debit my bank account, for there fee. I "refused" to sign the form and said they understood why and did not push it. After 80 to 90 days I was awarded. I found out before the attorney did, by a week. A day after I recieved the award letter, the attorney called me to let me know and discused there fee. They wanted 300.00 and I said that sounds reasonable. They sent more papers to sign and I didnt. I wanted to see what SS, came up with. SS sent me the letter for the fee amount. Lo and Behold There was an attachment to the letter. I will put it below.

" Based on the extent and type of services provided and perfomed by the non-attorney not eligble for direct payment, the complexity of the issue, the level of skill required of the representative in providing the services, the amount of time spent on the case, the results the representative achieved, the level of review at wich a favorable determination was issued and the amount of time expended on this case, it is determined that a fee in the amount of $150.00 is fair compensation for the services provided in this claim. This is because the attorney was appointed nine days prior to SSA making a favorable decision on the case.

At the time the petition was filed, the non-attorney sought an amount of $300.00. The services shown on the clients ledger submitted with the SSA-1560 indicates 1.25 hours of services rendered from 06/26/08 to 07/06/08. However the attorney was appointed as representative around 07/10/08. Also, the ledger indicates the intial claim interview was conducted on five different dates.

Therefore, it is determined that a fee of $150.00 is a reasonable fee for the services provided to the client for the services performed from 07/10/08 through 09/24/08.

The non-attorney should look to the claimant for payment of the authorized fee."

I dont want to say who the attorney was, for fear of being sued, just paranoid. I will tell you this the first letter is "A". The reason for posting this is ,I am glad that I did not sign those bank/debit forms. It seems to me a lot of these national SSDI attorney firms are like a fine tuned production line in a factory. Just wanted to share. Thanks.

T&B

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My mom had diabetes, cataracts so bad she was for all practical purposes blind but her health was so bad they didn't want to risk surgery on them, couldn't walk or drive and was an amputee of the left arm. After two years of no success, she hired an attorney and got her disability.

I ain't in that bad of shape. At least, I can get a recommendation from my bankruptcy attorney for a lawyer and stay away from the chains.

I have been debating whether or not to tackle starting the SS paper work directly myself or just start from scratch with a lawyer. It's fang tooth and claw with VA. I really don't need another full fledged battle on another front. <_<

But I may just go ahead and follow it to the first denial on my own just to see what happens.

As of June 22, 2009:

"

Filing a fee agreement

If you and your representative have a written fee agreement, your representative may ask us to approve it any time before we decide your claim. Usually, we will approve the agreement and tell you in writing how much your representative may charge as long as:

• <LI class=ninetypercent>You both signed the agreement; <LI class=ninetypercent>Your claim was approved and resulted in past-due benefits; and
  • The fee you agreed on is no more than 25 percent of past-due benefits or $6,000, whichever is less. "

<A href="http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10075.html">

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10075.html

• HadIt.com Elder

His ISP Address is clear. I think he is a real wise ass but I agree with suspension. How long is it and did you tell him why.

Pete