Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Add Or Adhd

Rate this question

PE1

Question

I haven't found ADD or ADHD in the 38 CFR. Is it rated if it's treated with Concerta?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

rentalguy I think you are right ADD is normally a childhood disorder and adult version is considered they missed it when you were a child and diagnosed as an adult but it is not a SC problem and I don't forsee them changing it anytime in the future.....if the your attention problems are a result of a TBI then maybe but not as a diagnosis without a physical cause for onset....and if it is TBI they wouldn't call it ADHD

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello, were you diagnosed and treated for ADD/ADHD in the military? If so, your medical records should indicate the process you went through for the diagnosis. Maybe how it was recognized? or if it affected job performance? or smiles, enhanced it! Got some relatives with similar things also suffer depression or seasonal affective disorder along side. Now if the VA is treating you with medcines = medical notes in the records.

Wish ya the best,

Cg

I haven't found ADD or ADHD in the 38 CFR. Is it rated if it's treated with Concerta?

I'm still in. I retire in 252 days. ADHD and Anxiety were diagnosed at the TMC. Never went to MH. Take Wellbutrin and Concerta. Made a big difference.

The anxiety portion of your situation IS compensable. If the Wellbutrin is controlling the symtoms they may rate it at 10% (symtoms controlled by medication) but anxiety can be service connected.

I would strongly suggest you go to MH before getting out of service to get a psychological clinical diagnosis in your med records (and make sure to get a copy of the treatment report because the mh treatment jacket is separate from your tmc records). Since you are most likely being treated by either a PA or MD at the TMC and not a psychologist or psychiatrist it would be beneficial to get a mh professional to assess you. Since you are getting ready to retire it would be mighty hard for them to slap a pd label on you after being successful in the military 20+ years.

I had never heard anything linking ADHD and PD but a quick google search on the topic was quite interesting. You may want to educate yourself on this topic and make sure that your anxiety is well noted in your med records as a separate issue from the ADHD.

FTR, I have taken almost every antidepressant on the market for the last 30 years and Wellbutrin by far was the best one for truly relieving depression. However, after a while, it also caused multiple severe manic episodes (I'm bipolar) which ultimately made it not workable for me but it was great while it lasted (just make sure and don't go drinking while you're taking Wellbutrin because the combination presents a seizure risk).

Congrats on the upcoming retirement,

TS Snave