Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Waiting On Claim

Rate this question

sunfish34

Question

I HAVE BEEN WORKING HARD WITH MY HUSBAND TO GET HIS CLAIM DONE WITH THE VA, FIRST WE FILED FOR SSD AND HE WAS AWARDED THAT WITHIN 6MTHS OF FILING. THEN WE FILED FOR

HIS VA SC DISABILITY, WE WAITED 13 MTHS TO GET A C&P, WE DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT

TDIU AND P&T WHEN WE FILED, I FOUND THIS WEB SITE AND IT HAS BEEN SO MUCH HELP, MY QUESTION IS SHOULD WE WAIT FOR HIS APPROVAL BEFORE WE FILE FOR TDIU AND P&T OR GO

AHEAD AND GET IT IN NOW, WILL IT SLOW DOWN HIS CLAIM, HIS DOCTOR SAYS ONE OF HIS

DISABILITIES ARE FROM A SC BACK PROBLEM AND THAT IS WHY HE CANNOT WORK, HE ALSO SAID

HE WOULD DO WHAT WE NEED TO HELP US OUT, THAT IS HIS ORTHOPAEDIC DOCTOR, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP B)

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

sent an question to iris, said claim is at the raters, does anyone know how long it will take there?

a couple of weeks ago said it was at post determanation? :lol:

• HadIt.com Elder

Good luck on the claim processing. One way or the other, I'm thinking positive on your behalf, do get a copy of the Cfile and va medical records (I have had to be specific or only get old compensation data and no medical) within a few weeks of the rating. It shows c&p results and would help a doctor understand what has been verified by the va examiner. I mention this because it helped my private doctor understand details. Also, cfile data helped me get medical facts together for ssdi application. Sure helped to be prepared when I applied for ssa benefits. First ssa confirmed work credits, any income I had and its use for family and home. I had prepared a self functional report and that helped describe my health condition on family daily living. Other than that husband wrote a clear letter about my condition impact on him and our family. The ssa accepted the c&p exam, my current doctors notes verifying same and smr (service medical records) showing specifically the larger disabilities I have.

Good luck and good reading accross Hadit for other experiences and support,

Cg'up2009

Poolguy, Is it true the va will automatically start the process for IU for a high rating? Thats good news, I applied for IU, denied but c&P increased a single rating to 60%, I used that for ssdi. My appeal is supported by ssdi and c&p results. Hope automatic reverses to IU.

I take it that your husband reopened his claim/claims for an increase. That said, I would wait for the decision from that, if he had the C&P already then a decision will soon be forthcoming and sending any evidence now may not make into his folder before. If he gets a high rating then the VA will automatically start the process for IU. I agree with Pete, that you need to submit his SSA decision & incorporate your privet doctors opinion.

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Sunfish..

I have discovered that "what the Va is supposed to do, or what they are required by regulation to do", is not necessarily the same as what they do.

I certainly can appreciate that you want the claim you have not to NOT be delayed. However, you will have better luck trying to stop it from raining than trying to prevent a delay in your claim by not filing for TDIU now. THEY can delay it anyway..for any reason.

IMHO, I recommend that you immediately file a claim for TDIU, because any delay could cost you retro of about $2500 per month...they could easily NOT automatically file you for TDIU..and easily "low ball" your hubbie with 30% disability or less..then you would not be eligible for TDIU.

Finally, you need to realize the most likely outcome is that your hubbies claim is denied, and that you have to appeal. I dont mean to sound negative, but the VA's motto is "Delay the claim as long as possible, then Deny it, and when the Veteran appeals, Discredit him" ..the 3d's. I figure you should be prepared for this denial now..and then be happy when you get your claim approved the first go around rather than hope you will get the money six months after applying and wind up 7 years later, like me, still trying to get my benefits. Then, when you appeal, you will have to start the TDIU thing all over again.

Commander Bob..

Thanks for your positive comments..however, it appears to be a bit unrealistic for sunfish to get TDIU or even close in less than a year..does anyone know anyone that has ever happened for? It takes most Vets years, and years and years to get TDIU..I would say the average is more than 10 years counting appeals, and implementation of the appeals, etc.

WOW, NOW I AM CONFUSED :lol: NOT SURE WHAT TO DO, HE IS ALREADY GETTING SSD FOR THE LAST TWO YEARS, AND I KNOW GETTING TDIU AND SC DISABILITY IS HARD TO DO, THANK YOU

FOR YOUR ADVICE, BUT WE HAVE ALREADY BEEN WAITING 16 MTHS FOR ANY KIND OF ANSWERS

SO I AM HANGING ON TO SEE WHAT HAPPPENS........