VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Wrongfully Claiming Debt Against Me. Need Help.

Rate this question

m3jon

Question

I tried searching the forums, but had no luck finding any similar cases as mine. One of the reasons why is because I have no idea what to put in the search bar. I tried several different phrases, but came up with nothing. Anyway..

I wanted to see if anyone has been in a similar situation as I am, and what you did you fix the problem.

The VA initially messed up on the SSN when creating my file. This caused many problems for me such as, couldn't file for GI Bill, VA deleting my disability rating when correcting my SSN, and now they're claiming I own them money (not a small amount) which I don't. I wrote many people, all agreeing that this is a mistake on the VA's part. I even got a letter from the veteran's service center manager that the debt has been cancelled. Yet, I continue to receive threatenig letters that I owe the VA. So far I have contacted the debt management center, state representative, VARO representative, veterans service center manager, and American Legion representative. These people (with the exception of the debt managment center) all agree it's the VARO's fault and claim that they have taken care of the problem. The Debt management center continues to claim I owe them. It has been 4 months since the first letter and I have received two more of the same letters since.

Where can I go from here? Who can I contact to have this problem fixed? Ever since I ETSed, the VA has been shafting me left and right. I want to crawl back into my mommy's womb.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Right here! The number I always call is: (404) 929-5818 and a nice lady named Kim will answer. Talk to her about what's going on, and she will help. Let her know that you've gone through all the proper channels and still nothing has been done. Tell her you want to speak to the director about this, and if not the director, then the person who will remove it, WHILE YOU ARE ON THE PHONE; don't let them tell you "We'll take care of it" make them do it while you wait. I've always had great results with Ms. Kim, and she's very nice, just make sure you're very nice and polite to her.

• HadIt.com Elder

m3jon ,...Well you can try handeling this mess within the V.A. yourself. It sounds like you have being going arround the proverbial circle with them already. Mabey if your local V.A. Director's office got a letter or phone call from a U.S. Congressional office, on your behalf, it will get their attention. Depending on who your congressman is, they may have a staff member assigned to work on veterans matters. Some do, some don't. No matter, they are there to help you. It's usually standard to sign a release of information form. I always made a phone call first and then went to the local office in my district and visited a staffer. You explained your SS# typo mistake issue very well here. Just visit them if possible and take copies of all the confusing VA letters you have been receiving. I would start with a phone call to you Cong. Rep, and set up an appointment. Old Texas saying..."Remember. There's more than one way to get to the train station. Good Luck. ...Cmdr. B

• HadIt.com Elder
I tried searching the forums, but had no luck finding any similar cases as mine. One of the reasons why is because I have no idea what to put in the search bar. I tried several different phrases, but came up with nothing. Anyway..

I wanted to see if anyone has been in a similar situation as I am, and what you did you fix the problem.

The VA initially messed up on the SSN when creating my file. This caused many problems for me such as, couldn't file for GI Bill, VA deleting my disability rating when correcting my SSN, and now they're claiming I own them money (not a small amount) which I don't. I wrote many people, all agreeing that this is a mistake on the VA's part. I even got a letter from the veteran's service center manager that the debt has been cancelled. Yet, I continue to receive threatenig letters that I owe the VA. So far I have contacted the debt management center, state representative, VARO representative, veterans service center manager, and American Legion representative. These people (with the exception of the debt managment center) all agree it's the VARO's fault and claim that they have taken care of the problem. The Debt management center continues to claim I owe them. It has been 4 months since the first letter and I have received two more of the same letters since.

Where can I go from here? Who can I contact to have this problem fixed? Ever since I ETSed, the VA has been shafting me left and right. I want to crawl back into my mommy's womb.

Follow these instructions to the letter.

File a new claim to the VA.

Seek a CLaim for a waiver of all debt being charged you because of the error caused by the VA in incorrectly entering the correct SSN for you when entering your claim. Send a copy to the RO, send a copy to your Veterans service officer. Send the evidence.

Explain you dont owe this debt becuse this is their administrative error.

Do this on monday and you will have relief by thursday.

John

May I suggest something different? I would write a letter to Paul Hutter, the VA's General Counsel, in the VA Office of the General Counsel in Washington, D.C. Explain as briefly as possible what's taken place, and the fact that the VARO has not contacted the Debt Management Center to correct this error. Attach the evidence to your letter.

I believe this is the only way you'll get this fixed. You can copy your Congressional representatives on the letter, but it needs to be addressed to the VAOGC. Have your Congressional Representatives submit the letter on your behalf through their offices, so the VAOGC won't claim they never received it.

We had a problem getting the VARO to contact DFAS regarding my husbands CRDP backpay, and the only way we got it solved was through our U.S. Senator's office forwarding our letter to the VAOGC and asking for an explanation. This prompted an audit (which wouldn't have happened otherwise), and my husband got his backpay after two years of waiting and the VARO being non-responsive.