Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100%ui Vet Can't Get Ssdi!

Rate this question

Maurice

Question

Disable 100% UI unable to get SSDI......On 12/10/08 SSA call me and told me I can't receive any monies from SSDI, but maybe can get medicare A&B. Should I get a lawyer?. I know some Vet have retirement incomes and still get SSDI. I need HELP!!!!!!

DAV IU 100%

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

My Govt job only took out Medicare tax, not SSA tax. So I did not pay enough into the SSA fund to get SSDI. That what SSA office told me on 12/10/08.

DAV IU 100%

I retired from the USDOL under the civil service system and am not elgible for SSDI. The gov calls this double dipping, but I have enought quaters paid into the social secuity system to get a check which I will be applying for in about 6 months. You have to have at least 40 quarters paid into the social security system to get it, but you can get disability if you are not being paid by another disability system . VA dosen't do that, that goes back to the double dipping. In fact I will lose part of my social security due to the fact that I worked for the USDOL. I think what you get they will cut from SSI. I know it sucks, buts thats the system. If you have or have not filed for SSI yet, take a copy of your DD214 with you and show it to the person filing your claim. The gov. will add some extra money SSI which may give you the quarters you need. Good luck and thanks for your service.

Murice, I would not get a lawer at this time. If you paid into the medicare system you are due that at a certain age, but since you are disabled and under the VA the VA will take from medicare and private health insurance to pay VA for your medical care. I know its a messed up system, but I only have one vote and I don,t think I can change it, but if we as veterans and familey stick together, maybe we can.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA does not charge medicare.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.