Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Update On C&p Spine Exam

Rate this question

octdevildog

Question

Thank you to all who advised me, but let me tell you what for the 1st time i had a real P.A.(physicians asst.) who knew my pain. He too has back problems. (i'll get to that in a minute). But first it was cold the last couple of days before the exam leaving me a stiff as a board and sore as all holy hell. I was then in the portion of bending and moving, the doc ask me to touch my toes, then i bent over as far as my body would let me before tears would start, he then said you can go farther and pushed on my shoulders. (Not sure if he's allowed to do that but, i felt pain like no other). Well after that we talked he ask if i had a "tens" machine. I had no clue, but he told me what it was and said hes been using it for a little over 2 months now and says it helps a lot. Has anyone ever used one? It sends electronic pulses to you back with these pads. Anyway after the torture of the exam, i woke up the next morning and could not get out of bed. my wife had to get a heat pad, after an hour i was good enough to move, but i can not understand why i have this back pain, they said the only thing i have is some spacing issues, but i can feel pain at all times, and i have not been comfortable since i can remember. Well thanks all have a great holiday.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

What you had was an inadaquate exam. He was not allow to assisted you in your range of motion. The only time he was to touch you was to see if there were muscle strain/tenderness and to do the leg lifts. He could also do the knee response test.

I would report him to the RO in case your report is not favorable to you. If it is not, you have to right to request another exam. Remember the exam is based on range of motion, not pain. Pain is by law only worth 10%. At the point that it hurts STOP!

Trust in GOD and not the PA. He is paid by the VA!

Thank you to all who advised me, but let me tell you what for the 1st time i had a real P.A.(physicians asst.) who knew my pain. He too has back problems. (i'll get to that in a minute). But first it was cold the last couple of days before the exam leaving me a stiff as a board and sore as all holy hell. I was then in the portion of bending and moving, the doc ask me to touch my toes, then i bent over as far as my body would let me before tears would start, he then said you can go farther and pushed on my shoulders. (Not sure if he's allowed to do that but, i felt pain like no other). Well after that we talked he ask if i had a "tens" machine. I had no clue, but he told me what it was and said hes been using it for a little over 2 months now and says it helps a lot. Has anyone ever used one? It sends electronic pulses to you back with these pads. Anyway after the torture of the exam, i woke up the next morning and could not get out of bed. my wife had to get a heat pad, after an hour i was good enough to move, but i can not understand why i have this back pain, they said the only thing i have is some spacing issues, but i can feel pain at all times, and i have not been comfortable since i can remember. Well thanks all have a great holiday.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V

If I were you, here's what I'd do. Go to Urgent Care at the VA. Tell them your back is worse because of the exam done by the PA (he pushed you farther than your ROM)...if this is indeed the truth. Get it documented ASAP!!

Then talk to the pt advocate in his department and file a complaint.

Be sure to get a copy of that C&P exam.

This is why it's so important to take a witness to all C&P exams.

Stay on top of this....I sure hope you feel better very soon.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with both previous posts, but don't raise a stink with the RO until you get a copy of the C&P results. I am almost positive that they will be completely unfavorable if this bozo was pushing you past your own point of pain. It was definitely a inadequate, illegal exam. If you pick up the results, and they confirm our suspicions, contact the RO immediately, let them know that you will not accept these results, and that you demand a new exam ricky-tick. If they give you any flap, ask how to get in touch with the Veterans Service Center Manager and let them know that you intend to take this matter up with the IG. Then let the patient's advocate at your VAMC know what this creep did to you.

As far as the TENS goes, mine made my sciatica worse. I have read a few success stories with them, but it's about 50/50. The physical therapy department at your VAMC can issue you one, and then you can see if it helps you. We're all different when it comes to our back pain and radiculopathy.

Seriously...if these results are not favorable to your, then don't let them stand. Do your best to keep them from even getting to a rater.

I would really like to see poolguy11550's input on this one...

90%, TDIU P&T

• In Memoriam

This was posted a while back. This is what "tens unit" looks like, and how it operates. Go to the first post and click on the link.

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?show...738&hl=Tens

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

• In Memoriam

Here is the link from the post.

http://www.vitalitywebb.com/backstore/TENSpain.htm

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity