Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can Someone Help Keep Me On Track?

Rate this question

Guest morgan

Question

I have come to Hadit this time with a broken heart. My kind and sweet husband of 27 years died last Friday. He was rated at SMC M and was enrolled in the VA Home Based Primary Care program. He had a visit with the VA nurse on Thursday, a week before his death. She found a 101.7 fever but didn't follow up with us about it. He had had recurrent UTIs and had been on three rounds of antibiotics, so I assumed the fever was related to the UTI. The third round of antibiotic was to end the next day after the nurse visit. When I didn't hear back from the nurse, I thought the UA must have been clear. But he was still very weak and sick. I took him to a private doctor and he sent him to the hospital. We found out that he had pneumonia so advanced, on top of severe lung disease, and he just couldn't fight it off. I am devastated. I know I need to file a claim for DIC, but I just can't get my head together to find the application or know what else I need. Or how much DIC pays now. Anything anyone might remind me of, I would greatly appreciate, as I have been at home taking care of him and can't seem to think outside the caregiver box. I'm sure my good sense will come back soon, but I just can't think right now. All of our income is gone, of course, and since he was so sick, he had little life insurance.

Any help to keep me on track would be greatly appreciated. I'm just not used to not being able to think. I'm trying to find a job, too, but as crazy as I am right now, I'm sure no one would hire me. I just have to settle my heart and mind. I would appreciate your prayers.

Edited by morgan

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Morgan-your vet rep isnt up to speed.

The VA's illegal practice of withdrawing the last comp check after a vet's death was recently uncovered and the VA web site shows what I mean:

http://www.va.gov/index.htm

I think there is a special toll free number there to call-

for affected survivors.

I only hope they send this comp check as fast as when they withdrew the amount.

SSA on the other hand was able to readjust my check right away and the SSA check that my daughter got.

I think they paid 3/4s of the SSA payment that my husband got to me as the survivors benefit.

Oddly enough they also checked my other deceased husband's account to determine which one was the highest account.

I think they might have info at their web site as to how they determine a survivors SSA amount.

I know how that feels to see the VA take comp from a checking account so fast- they are not allowed to do this anymore to the veteran's comp for month of death.

Also I dont know if there were any children involved on his SSA account in your case.

I have yet to meet any vet rep who understands the REPS Benefit.

I am posting a brief REPS topic-maybe it will help someone out there-

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

"Surviving spouses are encouraged to contact the Survivors' Call Center at (800) 749-8387, Mondays through Fridays.

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

• HadIt.com Elder
Morgan-your vet rep isnt up to speed.

The VA's illegal practice of withdrawing the last comp check after a vet's death was recently uncovered and the VA web site shows what I mean:

http://www.va.gov/index.htm

I think there is a special toll free number there to call-

for affected survivors.

I only hope they send this comp check as fast as when they withdrew the amount.

SSA on the other hand was able to readjust my check right away and the SSA check that my daughter got.

I think they paid 3/4s of the SSA payment that my husband got to me as the survivors benefit.

Oddly enough they also checked my other deceased husband's account to determine which one was the highest account.

I think they might have info at their web site as to how they determine a survivors SSA amount.

I know how that feels to see the VA take comp from a checking account so fast- they are not allowed to do this anymore to the veteran's comp for month of death.

Also I dont know if there were any children involved on his SSA account in your case.

I have yet to meet any vet rep who understands the REPS Benefit.

I am posting a brief REPS topic-maybe it will help someone out there-

Thank you Berta

post-4811-1231009787_thumb.jpg

Morgan,

I received almost all of his disability amount but he had an off-set due to worker's comp. so his check was not the full amount one usually receives. I did have to return his SS check for the month that he died in..they did not take it from my checking account thankfully.

Call SS on Monday and find out what you are entitled to. They can give you a dollar amount right over the phone. I turned 60 a few months after Bill died, had zero income, and didn't realize I could get ss that early so I was atleast pleased for that blessing.

• HadIt.com Elder

A VA computer glitch stole your money. They will replace it soon. The director of the Department of Veterans Affairs is aware of such problems. I think it is arrogant of the bureaucrats responsible for correcting the problem, to have failed you. VA director Peake needs to be brought before the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee and be chastised for what he did to you. The buck has to stop somewhere. If Peake and a few of his cronies went to jail for 30 days or so, I'm sure he would fix the problem instead of giving the Chairman of the Sen. VA Committee lip service.

Here is an excerpt from the Honolulu Star Bulletin,Dec. 20, 2008.

"December 20, 2008 - The Department of Veterans Affairs will begin issuing retroactive payments this month to eligible surviving spouses of war veterans who have been wrongfully denied up to millions of dollars in government benefits over the past 12 years.

The problem was pointed out to VA director James Peake last week by Sen. Daniel Akaka, chairman of the Veterans Affairs Committee, after the Hawaii Democrat received a complaint from Ruby Sasaoka of Kula, Maui, who was told by the VA that she wasn't entitled to her husband's last pension and disability check of $2,669."

Again here is a link to the newspaper article

http://www.veteransforcommonsense.org/articleid/11945%20

Call your congressman"s office and refer them to this article ask for help. This is so not right!!!