Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are They Related?

Rate this question

rdawg

Question

I am service connected under diagnostic code 5242 for degenerative arthritis of the spine. I injured my low back in service. I now have cervical ddd also and require surgery. I've never injured my neck.

My question is: Could the injury to my low back have caused my cervical problems also? Does instability of the lumbar spine cause problems in other segments of the spine?

I'm thinking of submitting a claim for the cervical ddd as secondary to lumbar ddd.

Also: I think I've seen somewhere on this site that if you have surgery for a service connected condition you can get 100% for a temporary period folling surgery, is this correct? Does the VA have to perform the surgery? I have very good insurance and would rather use my private doc.

Thanks,

rdawg

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

DDD of the C-spine could be service connected if the DDD of the L-spine is atributed to an injury, parachuting, or someother accident where you got hurt. You can says that you also injured your neck. But if it's just from running and ruckmarching, then I don't know. Maybe you could atributed to wearing kevlar helmets. You can also injure your neck doing sit ups. Plenty of people have herniated discs in their necks and lower back from sit ups. They pull to hard on the head as they go up. They have their hands interlaced behind the neck. Or, plenty of people have neck injuries from Combatives. They get thrown around or land hard and injure their neck.

• HadIt.com Elder

The Cervical spine is a different body segement than the thoracolumbar spins which is considered 1 segement.

Edited by jbasser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder
My question is: Could the injury to my low back have caused my cervical problems also? Does instability of the lumbar spine cause problems in other segments of the spine?

Yes. Your C-spine arthritis is caused by the problems with the TC spine. Any MD with two brain cells can figure this one out. You need to get a nexus stating this from one of your docs and file a secondary claim.

90%, TDIU P&T

Yes. Your C-spine arthritis is caused by the problems with the TC spine. Any MD with two brain cells can figure this one out. You need to get a nexus stating this from one of your docs and file a secondary claim.

thanks rental,

q: TC spine??

• HadIt.com Elder

TC spine = thoracolumbar spine = Thoracic and Lumbar spine combined into one segment. I think the reason the VA does this is because the ROM's of each of these segments is so small.

90%, TDIU P&T

• HadIt.com Elder

The main issue Shane reflected on is the Nexus (It has to be a strong one) between the Spinal Segments. I have seen it go both ways in secondary claims with the Cervical secondary to TC than TC secondary to servical.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.