Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security Disability

Rate this question

bobbyq

Question

I do not feel Social Security corrrectly accrued my earnings over the past years and I had been wanting to audit them, but due to the high stress and anxiety of visiting their office I never had done anything about it.

Finally after procrastinating for the past three to five years I went in to get my Medicare B and asked about the computation of my wages and found out that they had given me credit for my four years of military service. My two years in the National Guard were not accounted for nor my second enlistment for a total of three years military service were missing. I now have to provide proof of service which I can readily do, but I feel that it is IMPORTANT for anyone reading this to make sure that they are being given proper credit for their military service. Ask for the time period of service you have been given credit for and if anything is not correct have them correct it. It might mean nothing, but you could end up with a few extra bucks in your disability. Good Luck

Bobby Q :lol:

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

There is a time period involved, I believe it's the preceding five years. Beyond that, the required number of quarters (40) and the total paid in. Usually the highest of the preceding five years is the figure used. The number is based upon the earnings subject to SSA withholding.

This often catches you, as it did me. I was allowed by law to contribute up to about 15k per year to my 401kish plan during the last five years of employment. This money did not count for SSA withholding. In years prior to the major income tax revisions (1970's) such things as "perdeum" and overseas living expenses and the cost of annual trips to the US were also excluded. In my case, military service counted for the total number of quarters, and the total paid in. It had no effect on the last five years number.

I do not feel Social Security corrrectly accrued my earnings over the past years and I had been wanting to audit them, but due to the high stress and anxiety of visiting their office I never had done anything about it.

Finally after procrastinating for the past three to five years I went in to get my Medicare B and asked about the computation of my wages and found out that they had given me credit for my four years of military service. My two years in the National Guard were not accounted for nor my second enlistment for a total of three years military service were missing. I now have to provide proof of service which I can readily do, but I feel that it is IMPORTANT for anyone reading this to make sure that they are being given proper credit for their military service. Ask for the time period of service you have been given credit for and if anything is not correct have them correct it. It might mean nothing, but you could end up with a few extra bucks in your disability. Good Luck

Bobby Q :lol:

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

Chuck75, I'm fairly sure, SSA bases the amount paid on the previous 10 yr period and uses the highest income levels, of 5 of those yrs, to determine how much the claimant receives.

pr

There is a time period involved, I believe it's the preceding five years. Beyond that, the required number of quarters (40) and the total paid in. Usually the highest of the preceding five years is the figure used. The number is based upon the earnings subject to SSA withholding.

This often catches you, as it did me. I was allowed by law to contribute up to about 15k per year to my 401kish plan during the last five years of employment. This money did not count for SSA withholding. In years prior to the major income tax revisions (1970's) such things as "perdeum" and overseas living expenses and the cost of annual trips to the US were also excluded. In my case, military service counted for the total number of quarters, and the total paid in. It had no effect on the last five years number.