Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Application For Crsc Approved

Rate this topic

Ron II

GREAT job winning from the VA.

CRSC is additional cash due to service related ???

CRDC is additional cash above your normal Army retirement correct???

still learning LOL...

1. Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) is a non-taxable refund of sorts for the combat-related disabilities (percentage) for which there is an off-set of one's retired pay. The threshold to receive these payments is 10% (and only disabilities considered Combat Related count) Yes, it is in addition to my regular military retired pay. My retired pay is reduced each month by the amount of my VA disability pay ($541). Now, with the CRSC, I get back $240 for the 20% percent of my disabilities that are considered "Combat Related."

2. Concurrent Receipt of Disability Pay (CRDP) is a taxable refund of sorts for disability pay received and also off-set on military retired pay--the threshold to receive these payments is 50% disabled. These payments are also above the normal Army retirement pay.

3. A retiree cannot draw CRSC and CRDP simultaneously.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What if you're retired after 20 years of active duty and have 50% for CRSC for lower extremity problems due to bad military parachute landing falls but can qualify for an additional 20% for CRDP but for a different condition like Diabetes?

Not asking for CRSC and CRDP for the same condition. Can you get CRSC for one thing plus CRDP for another?

Or, if you have 50% for a condition under CRSC, can you get the other conditions that are not combat related tax free? as if all of them are CRSC?

• HadIt.com Elder
I received the approval of my application for CRSC (20%) today.

Congratulations Ron II. As you know, CRSC is tax free. Did you contact DFAS to see what your monthly pay will be?

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

What if you're retired after 20 years of active duty and have 50% for CRSC for lower extremity problems due to bad military parachute landing falls but can qualify for an additional 20% for CRDP but for a different condition like Diabetes?

Not asking for CRSC and CRDP for the same condition. Can you get CRSC for one thing plus CRDP for another?

Or, if you have 50% for a condition under CRSC, can you get the other conditions that are not combat related tax free? as if all of them are CRSC?

Hello PE1:

1. First and as you likely know, military retirees "forfeit" their retirement pay in an amount equal to

the VA disabilities payment. This is due to a law passed in the early part of the 20th Century.

2. CRSC and CRDP are both programs to pay back the amount (partially in some cases)

deducted from their retirement for VA compensation received. CRSC is not taxable; CRDP is taxable.

3. One cannot, under any circumstances, be paid CRSC and CRDP at the same time. One cannot draw CRSC for some disabilities (example: I receive CRSC for 20% of my 40% disabilities--I receive nothing from DFAS for the other 20%) and have the remaining disabilities paid under CRDP. A retiree must be rated at least at 50% for CRDP eligibility. CRSC eligibility starts at 10% and only for those disabilities considered "combat related."

4. Again, CRSC and CRDP cannot be paid at the same time under any circumstances. There is an open season in January of each year where you may select one or the other if you are eligible for both.

5. My comments above pertain to personnel who retired for length of service (20 yrs). I know absolutely nothing about the benefits for those considered Chapter 61 retirees.

Hope this helps...

Ron

p.s.

Even though you might gross more money from CRDP, you might be better off remaining with the CRSC due to tax considerations. Each case is different.

Edited by Ron II

Congratulations Ron II. As you know, CRSC is tax free. Did you contact DFAS to see what your monthly pay will be?

Hi Bob,

No, I haven't called DFAS, but since I retired with more than 20 years, I suspect the monthly amount

will be (at current rate for 20%) $240.

Thanks for your comments...

Ron

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use