Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appeals A Mistake?

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

I`m hoping I didn`t make a mistake bringing attention to myself filing a couple appeals a few weeks ago.

I am getting 100% rate with all the benefits. I filed appeals to raise Gerd from 10% and I appealed AO. I only did this in case I checkout from conditions related to these disabilities. I`m trying to look out for the family.

Did I make a mistake appealing? My letter two and a half years ago did say no more exams and I am in my late 50`s.

Cavman

Edited by Cavman

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Cavman

I don't think the VA would mess with your 100% rating if you file for other conditions. One small thing to remember is if you die from SC condition the VA pays a certain amount for your funeral expense. They don't do that if you die from NSC condition after 10 years. I have filed for a number of things since I was P&T and they have not attempted to challange my rating. I filed for AO conditions and secondary conditions and a CUE. So if you hang on for ten years and then die from SC condition your spouse is given a little more support by the VA paying for funeral, and if you die from SC condition before the ten years then that makes all the difference. Of course, the VA will leave you in ignorance of all these factors and never advise you to file claims that are clearly presumptive to AO, for instance. I am going to file for HBP and cataracts due to AO as soon as my CUE is decided. I am already SC for heart disease secondary to DmII.

Thanks john...I`m just trying to get things in order just in case.

Hey, if I ever get down your way we`ll have a root beer and talk Nam and bitch for a couple hours together.

Cavman

• HadIt.com Elder
I think you did things exactly right. Your thinking is on track as far as if you do die from a service connected disability. The appeals will only cover the issues you are appealing, so I would not worry about anything. In fact, the higher over 100% you go, you don't have to worry if they try to lower one of your ratings. Good luck!

The R/O can and often does re-examine claims whenever your file is opened up regardless of ones %'s or appeals level. It is bad advice to state that the R/O will not look into it. While it is too late now, I would say document and file in your own records if you have 100% + TDIU and new conditions arise.

Thanks john...I`m just trying to get things in order just in case.

Hey, if I ever get down your way we`ll have a root beer and talk Nam and bitch for a couple hours together.

Cavman

No politics please! :rolleyes: