Jump to content
  • 0

Neurogenic Bladder Related To Ivds/spine Conditions



What type exam or diagnostic test is used to establish the nexus of spinal conditions causing/aggravating bladder conditions--such as neurogenic bladder? Is it just an evaluation of the symptoms or is there some type diagnsotic test? Also, which medical specialty is best utilized to diagnose this problem? Neurologist? Urologist? Orthopedics? or "All the Above"?? Which spinal area is most often diagnosed as causing the condition of neurogenic bladder?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • HadIt.com Elder

The most expedient and least invasive way to get a neurogenic bladder sc'd secondary to a spine condition is to file a claim for increase for your sc'd spine condition. If you are rated under the general rating criteria for spine conditions, they can rate you based upon this one exam. You will have to be rated for a lumbar condition, though, because the nerves that control bladder function originate in the L4-5 and L5-S1 areas. If you just file a claim for the bladder, then you will most likely see a urologist, and they will run you through a battery of bladder tests.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neurogenic bladder.(?). I am s/c for a number of spinal (L5-S1) conditions. I was just wondering if anyone on/board had already gone thru the testing procedures and was granted s/c by the VA. I've had other people tell me the VARO will look (aaaaaaas usual) for any reason to deny. I am having a lot more sciatic discomfort--possibly causing urg/control problems. Dang, it is no fun getting older.

Edited by vmo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not old, only 35, and I have sc at 60% for neurogenic bladder. I didn't have to have a bladder C&P. It was all done on the progress notes and the spine C&P.

I never mentioned it years back on my spinal c&p exams. However, problem is more prominent now. I'm pending DRO review on spine rating. I guess maybe I'll speak with my civilian urologist to see what he thinks (I am over 1-hour nearest VAMC-uro.). I don't want to delay my DRO review by now claiming a bladder condition. Regardless, if my urologist believes this is secondary/aggravated by the spine condition--I'll be filing. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines