VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need A Us Court Attorney

Rate this question

dav_marine72

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Anyone know of a good attorney at the court that takes their cut from the government reimbursement? My first lawyer was working under that premise. Someone had posted attorney Robert Chisholm as a good lawyer but he wants a $1500 fee and 25% of my back pay. This is such BS. The VA screws up and I have to pay for it? Please let me know if anyone used a decent lawyer that did not charge. Thanks.

Edited by Pete53

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that Lawyer has a rude awakening as VA limits the fee a Lawyer can collect. If I am right its 20% of your retro amount.

Like PR a contingency fee even 25% for a good lawyer is worth considering. Its like do you want to use Dr Bash or another Doc who costs less.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

I don;t know how the system works where the VA pays the lawyers fees and not the veteran.

I can recommend a great lawyer who teaches VA law at the law school here in USC Columbia SC and she handles only VA cases, you need to contact her and see if she can help you I am more than willing to pay her the 20% she is entitled to if I get my case won as it helps my wife get the mortgage insurance and other benefits we will be entitled to

her e mail address is

http://www.vetadvocates.com/

Rebecca C. Patrick

Attorney at Law

P.O. Box 6763

Columbia, SC 29206

(803) 743-9043 Ofc.

(803) 727-2474 Mobile

E-Mail: rcpatricklaw@gmail.com

Licensed in MS and SC; served in the United States Air Force JAG Corps for 7 ½ years.

Edited by Testvet

• HadIt.com Elder

No comment, for it's better to say nothing than to respond the way I feel now. Good luck!

pr

First off let me start off by saying lawyers do have a right to be paid, no one is disputing that fact. The fact is at this point we are talking about a lawyer looking through my case and then negotiating with the U.S. attorney. I know there is work behind the scenes but if that is worth around the $12500 estimate on my case there is something wrong with that. The fact that you are accusing me of wanting something for nothing is an insult. I have been fighting the VA since 2000 for my benefits. I have provided all the evidence needed to get a 90% rating. Right now I am 70%. Rather than site home and try to get TDIU and social security I go to work everyday under a cocktail of sedatives, anti-depressants, and pain killers. I can't get life insurance to protect my wife and children because of my service connected disabilities.

So yes I don't believe a lawyer should get $12k of my 50k when my evidence points I should have been that way in the first place. This attorney you are so high on wanted to charge me $1250 because he would have to work on my case in front of other clients because I am already at the court and have been there for some time. How does that help his clients? There are many lawyers who do these cases for the fees they can get reuimburshed from the government. Why should I have to pay a laywer when the VA screwed up? I'm scheduled for a service connected three level lumbar fusion in March in which my employer is saying if you can't make it back in 6 weeks then find another job. Don't make judgements about people or situations you don't know about.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Testvet. Phillip I mean no offense to you. I am not in a good place right now. The chronic pain is eating me alive. Throw in an upcoming surgery that has about a 40% success rate and you get a nasty person. I know what you meant and I shouldn't have shouted my mouth off. I am sorry.

• HadIt.com Elder

Marine:

I edited the title of your Topic as it could be considered offensive by some members. Feel free to PM me if you need a better explanation.

• HadIt.com Elder

dav_marine72; if anyone owes an apology it's me. I wanted to retaliate but didn't and for me it would've been harmless interservice banter but I knew you wouldn't have taken it that way. So I chose not to comment. Life is not fair. The VA is corrupt. Yes, you should get what you deserve and were "promised." I'm sorry Chisholm didn't do right by you. I don't know why. I feel paying 20%-25% for something is better than paying 0% and getting nothing. My SSDI cost me $4k but I won. Without my atty I was getting zip. Money well spent. Again, I'm sorry I flew off the handle !!! BTW, 9yrs is nothing, it took me 10yrs! ;-)

pr

Thanks Testvet. Phillip I mean no offense to you. I am not in a good place right now. The chronic pain is eating me alive. Throw in an upcoming surgery that has about a 40% success rate and you get a nasty person. I know what you meant and I shouldn't have shouted my mouth off. I am sorry.