VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Got The Ss Denial Letter

Rate this question

daveesl

Question

While I expected it, I was kind of disgusted in the SS denial letter I received today. I have very active, chronic Hep C from the navy. I'm on the third week of treatment and it isn't going well. I have sinus bradycardia, so I pass out fairly regularly. I have a herniated disk and severe back pain. I haven't been able to work for almost 2 years now. I worked for myself, so there is no job related disability insurance.

Luckily, I essentially have no bills, as the house and car is paid for and I don't use credit cards. However, savings are now getting depleted. My wife works as a teacher, so at least we have some income coming in.

Like I said, I expected this and that is why I initially filed by hiring a SS law firm. I can't handle the details, so I'm more than happy for them to do so. And yes, I have also filed for service connected through the VA. I also expect that to be denied, but in the end I'm going to win in every way, including beating hep C. I am no longer able to do anything other than fight for disability. At least they denied it quickly, so I can get the appeals ball rolling quickly.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you got lawyers only thing to do is what they tell you. Good Luck you probably will need a Medical Opinion that says you will not be able to work for over 1 year.

Guest terrysturgis

Step number one, automatic denial. Makes you wonder why there is a step number one. The next step, number two, my attorney skipped and went for the ALJ hearing. She said to speed up the process. It took me two plus years to get to the ALJ. Every state is different time wise. I won November 17, 2009. Still no money but at least I know it's on the way. The waiting is one of the hardest parts. Take care. Terry

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't feel bad. I got my denial the day before you got yours, and I had them dead to rights when you compare the language in my med records to their laws :rolleyes:

Start writing your reconsideration letter. You've only got 60 days.

I agree about the "automatic denial system". I figure the initial rater has a wheel of fortune. I'm going to ask my lawyer about going straight to the ALJ, that makes sense. Why wait a year for the reconsideration denial and then 2 years for the ALJ, when you can perhaps get rid of the initial year wait.

• HadIt.com Elder

I understand the logic, but I have been told by SSA that the average length of time a reconsideration takes is 3 months. That is because all the initial work has already been done. There is only a 20% reversal rate on reconsiderations, though. I went ahead and filed a reconsideration because I have them "dead to rights" under their own laws, but I still don't expect a win at this level. The reversal rate at the ALJ level is 80%, so I am sure I would win there. I am fortunate enough that I am in a decent financial state, and can afford to add another 3-6 months onto my SSDI claim.

Keep us updated.