VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can A Ui 100% Veteran Start A Business Legally?

Rate this question

Maurice

Question

Could a Vet that is on UI lose benefits if he start a business to help disable vet with housing?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

YES, he would lose TDIU. The answer would be the same if it was a non-profit. I say this because in Section I on the 21-4140 it asks for the names of all employers, even self-employment. If you are running a non-profit, then you are employed, even if you don't make money. You would have to put that on the form. That, in and of itself, will raise a huge red flag at the VARO, and would most likely lead to a reduction in benefits. This would be against the regs, and could be beaten, but why invite the headache?

YES, he would lose TDIU. The answer would be the same if it was a non-profit. I say this because in Section I on the 21-4140 it asks for the names of all employers, even self-employment. If you are running a non-profit, then you are employed, even if you don't make money. You would have to put that on the form. That, in and of itself, will raise a huge red flag at the VARO, and would most likely lead to a reduction in benefits. This would be against the regs, and could be beaten, but why invite the headache?

what if everything is in your wife's name and the two employees are her mother and daughter ? i am sure that the wife would lose her va assistance, correct ? i had the same idea of opening a home for disabled veterans in the future but i plan to have regular 100% not 100% tdiu so i guess that all of this won't really matter. where do you plan to open your veterans' home ? mine will be in a city in florida. :rolleyes: ;)

• HadIt.com Elder

If the vet is TDIU, and everything is in the spouse's name, and the vet does not officially work for the organization, then everything would be fine. However, if the spouse is not a vet themselves, then they could not get the veterans business assistance from the government.

• HadIt.com Elder

why ask for trouble? Stuff like this just inspires investigation into the veterans background and income taxes etc is it worth it?