Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dod - Mcdowell Rape Checklist

Rate this question

carlie

Question

I'm looking for the entire document of the McDowell Rape Checklist.

I used to have it (got it at vetwow), but it is on my old broken computer.

If anyone can find, copy and paste it or send it as an attachment I would

really appreciate it.

This checklist was supposed to be discontinued in 1997, but it has not been

and is still used in some places as a part of rape investigations.

This is not new information but it still blows my mind.

Here are some excerpts I was able to find.

Thanks,

carlie

http://www.refusingtokill.net/rape/WhyCanada.htm

Since 1970, the Pentagon has implemented what has come to be known as the McDowell Rape Checklist.
      This checklist was trained to and must be followed by every military criminal investigator.
        Using this checklist any legitimate rape victim's testimony was and is inadmissible.
          [see below facts from McDowell Checklist – available upon request]
            Lt. Colonel Charles P. McDowell's first premise is that of all reports of rape by military women: 60% of all rape allegations are false reports, despite FBI's national civilian statistics of false reports as only 8%.

• This despite the fact the women have pasted a myriad of mental, physical, psychological background checks and have security clearances.

McDowell's Questionnaire includes 57 Questions

(each answer per question is weighted at 1/2 to 5 point per answer)

[*]Actual McDowell Rape Checklist Questions & Points Given for Answers: Y = if, Yes

response given by victim, N = if, No response given by victim.

o Does the victim report being intoxicated at the time of the assault?

[if Yes, 3. points]

o Does the victim report offering vigorous resistance to the assault?

[if Yes 3. points]

o Does victim report passing out or losing consciousness during the assault?

[if Yes, .5 pts]

o Does victim report anal sex?

[if, No = 1. point]

o Does victim report forced oral sex?

[if, No = .5 point]

o Does the victim report being assaulted at gunpoint?

[if, Yes = 3 pts]

o Does the victim report being assaulted by multiple assailants?

[if Yes = .5]

o Does the victim report her assailant wore a mask?

[if, Yes = .5]

o Does the victim report her assailant wore gloves?

[if, Yes = .5]

[*]

[*]Pentagon & McDowell Scoring System: Victim MUST score Below Zero

[*]to be considered Telling the Truth! Here is McDowell's Scoring System:

o 0-16 Equivocal {evasive, ambiguous, uncertain outcome, of doubtful nature}

o 16-35: Allegation probably false

o 36-75: False allegation

o 76 + up: Overkill

[*]

[*]After McDowell information was initially known in 1997,

[*]the Pentagon's assurance advocates that McDowell's checklist was discontinued.

[*]

[*]Yet, McDowell was promoted to Colonel provided a special position in the Pentagon, he still travels and provides his training nationally in civilian circles and potentially internationally.

Edited by carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

5 answers to this question

Rape Allegation Checklist Created by U.S. Military

This document was created at the Pentagon. It's to "help" law enforcement decide whether a rape allegation is credible. Very telling.

McDowell’s foundation work is used in the military and in civilian police departments, as McDowell himself testified in 1985 US Congressional Hearing on the rape of children, that children and military women are comparable in their honesty, they lie about being raped! According to McDowell’s testimony; of 1,218 cases studied, 460 were forcible rapes; 212 false allegations using this checklist, 546 could not be determined as rape or not, yet, McDowell put the 546 undetermined cases into the false allegation category or not raped. He “analysed rape investigations between 1970 – 1984, approx 341 of those cases were false reports.” Thus making McDowell’s stats of 60% of military women lie. But, McDowell’s false reports went from 212, to 341, and or plus 546? Hard to know how McDowell was counting.

Here's the Checklist:

RAPE ALLEGATION CHECKLIST

Created by the US Pentagon and

Charles P. McDowell, Ph.D. USAF, OSI

Initial Complaint

1 Was the complaint timely? Y N N=0.5

2 Was the initial complaint made by the victim to a friend? Y N Y=0.5

3 Were law enforcement authorities notified by someone other than the victim? Y N Y=3.0

Nature of the Allegation

4 Does victim report being abducted? Y N Y=0.5

5 Does victim report being intoxicated at the time of the assault? Y N Y=3.0

6 Does victim’s recollection of the details of the assault seem overly broad? Y N Y=0.5

7 Does victim report offering vigorous resistance to her assailant? Y N Y=3.0

8 Is victim able to identify or locate the scene of the assault? Y N N=3.0

9 Does victim report passing out or losing consciousness during the assault? Y N Y=0.5

10 Does victim report waking up (or coming to) and finding her assailant engaging in intercourse with her? Y N Y=0.5

11 Does victim have difficulty in describing the sexual details of the assault? Y N Y=0.5

12 Does victim report anal sex (sodomy)? Y N N=1.0

13 Does victim report forced oral sex (fellatio)? Y N N=0.5

14 Does victim’s story contain any significant changes in subsequent retelling? Y N Y=2.0

15 Does victim describe the assault in flat, unemotional tones? Y N Y=0.5

16 Does victim describe the assault with a sense of relish or enthusiasm? Y N Y=0.5

17 Does victim report being assaulted at gunpoint? Y N Y=3.0

Suspect Description

18 Does victim report being assaulted by multiple assailants? Y N Y=0.5

19 Does victim report her assailant(s) as being of a different race or ethnic group? Y N Y=0.5

20 Does victim report keeping her eyes closed during the assault (and therefore not able to identify her assailant)? Y N Y=0.5

21 Does victim describe her assailant as having an unsavory appearance? Y N Y=0.5

22 Does victim report her assailant wore a mask? Y N Y=0.5

23 Does victim report her assailant wore gloves? Y N Y=0.5

24 Does victim describe her assailant as a person she knows or who is familiar to her but can’t provide a good physical description? Y N Y=3.0

Physical and Medical Evidence

25 Is the crime scene consistent with the story? Y N N=3.0

26 Does victim display any minor sharp weapon injuries (lacerations)? Y N Y=3.0

27 Is the condition of victim’s clothing consistent with her story? Y N N=3.0

28 Does victim present bruises from the assault which are inconsistent in color (age) with the time of the assault? Y N Y=0.5

29 Does victim display any cross-hatching scratches to the face? Y N Y=5.0

30 Does victim display shallow scratches to the face, neck, breasts, thighs or stomach? Y N Y=5.0

31 If scratches are present on the face or breasts, do they cross the eyes, lips or nipples? Y N N=3.0

32 Do any lacerations include hesitation wounds? Y N Y=5.0

33 Does victim display any writing on her body allegedly done by the assailant? Y N Y=5.0

Victim’s attitude

34 Does victim seem ambivalent toward her injuries? Y N Y=0.5

35 Does victim appear to feign emotions when relating details of the assault? Y N Y=0.5

36 Is victim reluctant to cooperate with law enforcement authorities? Y N Y=0.5

37 When telling about the assault, does victim have difficulty explaining anomalies or inconsistencies? Y N Y=0.5

38 Does victim demand to be treated by a female physician or interviewed by a female police officer? Y N Y=1.0

39 Does victim express a desire to “drop” the whole matter or otherwise indicate she does not want it investigated? Y N Y=1.0

40 Does victim become outraged when asked to corroborate her assault? Y N Y=1.0

41 Does victim try to steer the interview into “safe” topics or those that will engender sympathy? Y N Y=0.5

Assailant’s Communications

42 Does victim report receiving obscene phone calls prior to the assault? Y N Y=1.0

43 Does victim report receiving phone calls from the assailant after the assault? Y N Y=1.0

44 Does victim report receiving any kind of written communication from her assailant before, during, or after the assault? Y N Y=1.0

45 If victim has received a written communication, was it a “cut and paste” note? Y N Y=3.0

46 If victim has received written communication, does it contain any kind of rhyming scheme or take the form of poetry? Y N Y=3.0

47 Does victim report being watched (surveilled) by her assailant prior to the assault? Y N Y=0.5

48 Does the victim report being complimented by her assailant during the assault? Y N Y=0.5

Personality and Lifestyle Issues

49 Does victim report engaging in high risk behavior prior to her assault? Y N Y=2.0

50 Does victim have a history of alcohol abuse? Y N Y=3.0

51 Does victim have a history of financial problems? Y N Y=1.0

52 Does victim have a history of mental or emotional problems? Y N Y=3.0

53 Does victim have a significant medical history? Y N Y=2.0

54 Does victim report prior rapes or assaults? Y N Y=2.0

55 Does victim have a history of work-related problems? Y N Y=2.0

56 Does victim have problems in her interpersonal relationships (i.e., with her husband, boyfriend, or others)? Y N Y=3.0

57 Does the allegation solve a problem for the victim? Y N Y=5.0

McDowell’s first premise 60% of women are lying about being raped, despite the FBI’s national stats of 8% are false allegations.

* According to McDowell’s checklist the victim must score below a ZERO to be considered telling the truth about being raped.

SCORING SCALE:

0 - 15: EQUIVOCAL

16 - 35: ALLEGATION PROBABLY FALSE

36 - 75: FALSE ALLEGATION

76 + UP: OVERKILL

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Sharon,

Good find, thanks for posting it.

I was able to contact someone I had sent all of it to

in the past and she sent a copy back to me to download.

I've tried to upload the entire document with the 50 something

questions here.

carlie

post-60-1234604103_thumb.jpg

post-60-1234604120_thumb.jpg

post-60-1234604149_thumb.jpg

post-60-1234604179_thumb.jpg

post-60-1234604204_thumb.jpg

post-60-1234604356_thumb.jpg

post-60-1234604404_thumb.jpg

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

This is beyond disturbing. It answers alot of questions though....sadly. And men, the authorities, wonder why women don't want to officially report being raped. It's because of shit like this....even though we are the victims, we are looked upon as the guilty party the minute we open our mouth.

Thanks ladies for this astounding info. My gosh, purple I agree with you. Didn't know about this report but I knew not being believed was one of the reasons I didn't report my rape at the time of service. However, my demeanor and everything else deteriorated drastically as a result, which is documented. Hopefully, the paper trail noting the disfunction and anxiety with depression will be like " Able's blood" crying out from the ground in my case.