Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Thought I Was Giving Birth

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

As if I didn't have enough NSC problems to deal with, I just spent the most painful five hours I have ever had to endure, all at the VA Hospital ER. Before they could give me any pain medication they said they had to make sure what I had. That did little to ease my pain.

First off, I wasn't realy having a baby but I could put my pain level up against any woman giving birth. I had a Kidney stone lodged just below where the ureter and kidney meet and was causing a severe bockage, causing my urin to backup.

The stone would not pass and had to have it broken up with a lazer procedure that blasted the stone into smaller pieces that could then pass more easily. The only problem was that after they removed the one stone they knew about, during the procedure they noted another that was behind it and was sucked back into the kidney which made it out of reach of the lazer.

This called for a stent to be placed in my uriter to widen the passage so that it was hoped the stone would pass without to much problem and pain. I now have to go back in a couple of weeks to have the stent removed, since leaving it in would cause it to harden like stone and result in my kidney shutting down.

At least during the procedure they noted that my prostrate which was believed to be normal was inlarged, so now I am on meds to help shrink it down.

First I get ulcers from my meds and now I get kidney stones that may be caused by my Sarcoidosis. I was hoping it had stabilized but you can never tell with this disease.

One miserable guy right now and I would never wish this on anyone.

Rockhound Rider :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Are you a paranoid schizophrenic

if the ones you think are out to

get you, really are?

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Received a call from the urology nurse today while I was out. She was returning my call about my concerns that my Ph was low, indicating my potasium was elivated and needed to come down, or rather that my Ph be higher. She wants me to try and eat a low protien diet to belp bring everything into proper levels. <br /><br />Anyone have some good information on low protein diets out their or at least the types of foods I need to avoid or keep to a minimum?<br /><br />You can answer by personal message if you want or post it here. Others may be interested in this type of diet also.<br /><br />Rockhound Rider<br /><br />

p.s. Hopefully I can show some improvement by March 10, when I have to go back in for labs, xrays, and the removal procedure of my stent.

Edited by Rockhound

get you, really are?

Hopefully these two websites will help you.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/ar...2442.htm this one for why low protein and why you shouldn't go overboard because of possible sideeffects.

http://www.endowsec.com/pated/edtgs10.htm this one gives examples of what is low protein.

Good luck - if I were a in your position I would become a complex carb junkie for a while - high fiber grains, vegetables, nuts and tofu like stuff for protein. Side effect of this is a reduction of water retention because if you stay away from lots of sodium and empty carbs, like Ding dongs or Twinkies for example, you will drop weight as you lose the water retention. Thusly your potassium level drops too.

Like I said, good luck!

Akwidow

Received a call from the urology nurse today while I was out. She was returning my call about my concerns that my Ph was low, indicating my potasium was elivated and needed to come down, or rather that my Ph be higher. She wants me to try and eat a low protien diet to belp bring everything into proper levels. <br /><br />Anyone have some good information on low protein diets out their or at least the types of foods I need to avoid or keep to a minimum?<br /><br />You can answer by personal message if you want or post it here. Others may be interested in this type of diet also.<br /><br />Rockhound Rider<br /><br />

p.s. Hopefully I can show some improvement by March 10, when I have to go back in for labs, xrays, and the removal procedure of my stent.

"Do one thing every day that scares you." Eleanor Roosevelt

What is your potassium level? I ask because I have the opposite problem.

Avoid bananas, yogurt, juices as those are all high in potassium.

I guess my question should have been how do I increase my Ph levels which would then affect potassium levels.

Although some of the dietary issues are the same, the major being lower protein intake. Dairy was somewhat less of a factor.

The whole thing is really confusing when you talk Ph verses Potassium. I'm told I need to raise my Ph which would make it less acidic and more alkeline, but I still haven't found any real consenses in what a proper diet would be to raise my Ph which is between 5.55 & 6.00 and I need to raise it to 6.50 to 7.50 per my Urology Nurse.

No meat, no tomatoe juice or sauces, no acidic drinks, etc. etc. etc. Yes on salads, non acidic fruits and melons, yes on eggs as a substute protein as well as 3oz. of certain fish, chicken, and turkey, etc. etc. etc.

Rockhound rider <_<

get you, really are?

• Founder

oh man kidney stones are horrible, i had three many years ago and they were stuck the doc said they would start to travel from kidney then go back to my kidney. doc had me tough it out for a month so they could pass naturally, the sound thing for breaking them up wasn't an option back then. i've had major surgery and the pain from the kidney stone was a least as bad as that. you have my sympathies, much hard for a man to pass then a woman, but getting it out is a bear.

As if I didn't have enough NSC problems to deal with, I just spent the most painful five hours I have ever had to endure, all at the VA Hospital ER. Before they could give me any pain medication they said they had to make sure what I had. That did little to ease my pain.

First off, I wasn't realy having a baby but I could put my pain level up against any woman giving birth. I had a Kidney stone lodged just below where the ureter and kidney meet and was causing a severe bockage, causing my urin to backup.

The stone would not pass and had to have it broken up with a lazer procedure that blasted the stone into smaller pieces that could then pass more easily. The only problem was that after they removed the one stone they knew about, during the procedure they noted another that was behind it and was sucked back into the kidney which made it out of reach of the lazer.

This called for a stent to be placed in my uriter to widen the passage so that it was hoped the stone would pass without to much problem and pain. I now have to go back in a couple of weeks to have the stent removed, since leaving it in would cause it to harden like stone and result in my kidney shutting down.

At least during the procedure they noted that my prostrate which was believed to be normal was inlarged, so now I am on meds to help shrink it down.

First I get ulcers from my meds and now I get kidney stones that may be caused by my Sarcoidosis. I was hoping it had stabilized but you can never tell with this disease.

One miserable guy right now and I would never wish this on anyone.

Rockhound Rider B) :o :P

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

There is a book out there that is called "Alkalize or Die" I found mine at a health food store, but it can be found online at Amazon.com and the like. It gives great information about raising your ph level....we found it when we got cancer...cancer cells have a hard time living in an alkaline environment.

keep on,

Akwidow

I guess my question should have been how do I increase my Ph levels which would then affect potassium levels.

Although some of the dietary issues are the same, the major being lower protein intake. Dairy was somewhat less of a factor.

The whole thing is really confusing when you talk Ph verses Potassium. I'm told I need to raise my Ph which would make it less acidic and more alkeline, but I still haven't found any real consenses in what a proper diet would be to raise my Ph which is between 5.55 & 6.00 and I need to raise it to 6.50 to 7.50 per my Urology Nurse.

No meat, no tomatoe juice or sauces, no acidic drinks, etc. etc. etc. Yes on salads, non acidic fruits and melons, yes on eggs as a substute protein as well as 3oz. of certain fish, chicken, and turkey, etc. etc. etc.

Rockhound rider :rolleyes:

"Do one thing every day that scares you." Eleanor Roosevelt