VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Letter From Appeals Management Center

Rate this question

vaf

Question

My husband received a decision from the AMC a few days ago in the mail, and we are confused as to how to figure it out. He called the AMC, and the person on the phone couldn't explain it. We called the 800 VA number, and they couldn't explain it either. So we've come to this board to see if anyone can help interpret this for us. The information is as follows:

Total Award Amount: $1196

Amount Withheld: $1063

Monthly Entitlement Amount $133

Payment Start Date: September 1, 1993

Reason for Change: effective date of increased payments/military retired pay withholding

Total Award Amount: $1227

Amount Withheld: $1090

Monthly Entitlement Amount: $137

Payment Start Date: December 1, 1993

Reason for Change: legislative increase/military retired pay withholding

Amount Withheld: $523

Monthly Entitlement Amount $704

Payment Start Date: July 1, 1994

Reason for Change: military retired pay withholding

Amount Withheld: $0

Monthly Entitlement Amount $1227

Payment Start Date: October 1, 1994

Reason for Change: previous payments continue unchanged

Total Award Amount: $1259

Amount Withheld: $0

Monthly Entitlement Amount $1259

Payment Start Date: December 1, 1994

Reason for Change: retired pay withholding

I'm almost afraid to take a guess, but would like to understand all this. Thank you!

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It sounds like the VA is going to pay him for his disability without the offset for his military retired pay. I suppose he is 70% disabled.

• HadIt.com Elder

Shows you how they calculated back pay. It starts with the first calculation and includes money that was paid back and ends with COLA for 1994. I suspect that you will soon be getting a nice sized check to brong you current.

I would estimate about 150,000 but as you know it is not a 100% award.

Hubby's at 90% schedular. He received another 10% from the Board, which I believe, according to my calculations, brings him to 100% according to VA math, but again, I can't get the AMC or the VA, national or local, to verify his ratings, and his pay hasn't changed. I tried the complaint venue online, but all we're told is that the RO doesn't have his file because it's at the AMC (and I assume then on to the CVA, because we're also there awaiting a hearing).

I'm sorry, but I didn't understand what was meant by "it was not 100% award."

I guess I'm trying to figure out what gets multiplied by what. The second page of the letter says, "You will receive a payment covering the initial amount due under this award, minus any withholdings, in approximately 15 days. Payment will then be made at the beginning of each month for the prior month."

Does that mean I have to multiply the Monthly Entitlement Amount by the number of months between the Payment Start Date and now? For each item or just the last item dated 12-1-94?

I'm sorry, don't mean to be dense...

Vicki- I am sorry to ask a question when you have asked many here but-

your husband is military retired- is he eligible for Combat Related Special Monthly Compensation?

Is the 60% for any combat related disability?

The VA does not handle CRSC -Combat Related Special Comp- mil retirees-

Here is an Army CRSC site with the criteria for this- each branch has a site-

The application should be downloadable from here-

I dont know if this would affect him but might help someone else out there-

HRC Home About US Contact Active Reserve EREC My Record Search

Reserve HomeAbout HRC-STLSoldier Services >>>LibraryNewsPromotion/BoardsRetirementMobilizationToursPay/IncentivesEducationRecordsProgramsGuidanceMedicalLegalVeteransEREC HomeAbout EREC >>>Soldier Services >>>Divisions >>>WelcomeMissionLocationContactOMPFWorld Wide LocatorIWRSASKDigital Sender TrackingDAPMISPSB/S1 NCO-ER Online ReportsMy ERBPromotion FileBoard Member InformationPAI Collaboration SiteDA Secretariat - Enlisted BoardsEnlisted Records DivisionEREC HeadquartersInformation Support ActivityRecords ServicesDCSOPSEnlistedOfficerPersinsdTAGDHome

new Apply Online

How to Apply

CRSC Eligibility Requirements

Information for Current Applicants

Application Reevaluations

CRSC Program Details

RSO/VSO/MSO Corner

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Website Assistance

Downloads

Links

Site Map

Statistics

Contact Us

Are you having technical problems with this site? Contact the webmaster.

Do you have questions about the Program? Contact the U.S. Army CRSC Division

Link to CRSC

The addition of CRSC II has not completely eliminated CRSC I. The following describes the preliminary eligibility requirements for both CRSC I and CRSC II.

CRSC I and CRSC II Eligibility Chart Eligibility Requirements CRSC I CRSC II

Minimum VA Disability Rating 60%

or

10% with a Purple Heart

10%

Length of Service Active Duty

20 Years Active Duty Reservist

7200 Reserve Points

Active Duty

20 Years Active Duty Reservist

20 year Letter and Age 60

Currently Receiving VA Compensation and Retirement Pay

VA Compensation and Retirement Pay

Eligibility Date Retroactive to 1 June 2003 Retroactive to 1 Jan 2004

CRSC I and CRSC II Payment Chart Payment CRSC I CRSC II

CRSC Payment Single Rate: Deposited concurrently with standard retired military pay With Dependent Rate: Deposited concurrently with standard retired military pay

Payment Retroactivity Retroactive to 1 June 2003

or

Date fully eligible for CRSC I

Retroactive to 1 January 2004

or

Date fully eligible for CRSC II

CRSC I

Retired with at least 20 years of Active Duty or 7200 Reserve Service Points.

Have a VA disability rating of 60-100% or 10% associated with a Purple Heart.

Drawing retirement pay.

Receiving VA disability pay.

Those who meet all of these CRSC I requirements are eligible to receive payment retroactive to 1 June 2003 or the date they are fully eligible.

CRSC II

Retired with at least 20 years of Active Duty or a 20-year Retirement Letter and is at least age 60.

Have a VA disability rating of 10% or higher.

Drawing retirement pay.

Receiving VA disability pay.

Those who meet all of these CRSC II requirements are eligible to receive payment retroactive to 1 January 2004 or the date they are fully eligible.

Please note:

For those who did not retire as Reservists the 20-year requirement must be Active Military Service for both CRSC I and CRSC II. Civil/Federal Service cannot be combined to satisfy the 20-year minimum.

CRSC is for military retirees only. Widows/ widowers of military spouses or other family members are not eligible to receive this compensation.

Eligibility Determination

Applicants who meet all of the eligibility requirements for either CRSC I or CRSC II will be further considered for Combat Analysis of their disabilities.

Applicants who do not meet all of the eligibility requirements for either CRSC I or CRSC II will be sent written confirmation of their ineligibility and have the opportunity to be reconsidered if additional supporting documentation is provided. For information on how to request reconsideration, click here.

Provided as a public information service by the U.S. Army Human Resources Command. Send suggestions or comments to the Webmaster. View the usage and privacy policy and accessibility information. This page last published Sep 20, 2005 9:37:01 AM