Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Qestion For Vets Of All Era's

Rate this question

timetowinarace

Question

I was reminded from a post in another thread that Gulf War Veterans are not allowed to donate blood. I remember being told by the Army when we came back from the desert that we could not donate but was/am unsure if this ban was still active. I have not officially verified that it is still active.

The question is, Are veterans from other conflicts banned from donating blood, especially this curent conflict?

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Vietnam Vets can give blood. I had near 20 months in country Vietnam service. Received many immunizations with the injector gun. However, many Nam vets are disqualified because they had malaria. I was tested for hepatitis c at VAMC, negative. Also, I believe (not sure) they automatically test for hepatitis (more than one) at Red Cross Blood collections. Thanks for reminding me, I'll give tomorrow as my church routinely sponsors a blood drive which just happens to be Thursday. I've given often for many years. Red Cross is always short of O- (negative). Please give if you can,--it is the least we can do.

I was stationed in Okinawia Japan. When I got back to the states and tried to donate blood I was told that I was not able to. They said that there was a high risk of hep B. I in turn went to the doctor to be checked. When the results came back I was told that I had the anti virus. With the anti virus you can not get or transmit the virus. I still can't give blood :angry:

The same thing was told to me when I got back from Korea. However, about three years later I received a letter indicating that I could donate plasma.

Here's something I found in search of plasma vs. blood donations.

Platelets are cell fragments in the blood that enable blood to clot

Plasma donation is a type of blood donation. Instead of giving whole blood, you donate only a portion of your blood, the plasma. Plasma is the liquid portion of your blood. Donors with type AB blood are the most important to plasma donations, as people with this type blood are the “universal donors”. Patients with any blood type can be transfused with type AB plasma.

Plasma helps many of the most vulnerable patients in your community such as; newborn babies, leukemia patients, burn patients, and those who have undergone transplants or cardiovascular therapy. Plasma serves a variety of functions, from maintaining blood pressure to supplying critical proteins for blood clotting and immunity. Plasma transfusion is most often used to control bleeding due to low levels of some clotting factors

RANDOM WHOLE BLOOD DONATION vs. PLATELET DONATION

Although a small amount of platelets are present in a whole blood donation, it takes approximately five whole blood donations to yield as many platelets as a single apheresis donation. Enough platelets are given in one apheresis donation to help one or even two hospital patients.

After donating platelets you only have to wait 48 hours before you can give whole blood. This is because you lose very few red blood cells (approximately 32 ml.) during a platelet donation. However, if you donate whole blood first, you must wait 56 days before you can donate platelets or any other blood products due to the fact you lose approximately 200 ml. of red cells during whole blood donations.

Individuals can donate platelets frequently (every 48 hours) because their platelets are rapidly replaced, usually within one day.

Bone marrow transplant, cancer and leukemia patients benefit from single donor platelets which greatly reduce the chances of rejection from the patient’s bodies.

Apheresis is a special type of blood donation that allows blood to be drawn from a blood donor and separated into its component parts with all but the needed component being returned to the donor.

One apheresis donor gives 6-8 times as many platelets as one whole blood donor. Apheresis platelets are called “single donor” platelets because one donor has given enough for one transfusion “dose".

Donors with high platelet counts often are able to donate the equivalent of two “single donor” units or doses during one donation. These units are called double products

Almost anyone who is a BLOOD DONOR can donate platelets. You can donate platelets every 48 hours for a total of 24 times per year.

After donating platelets you only have to wait 48 hours before you can give whole blood. This is because you lose very few red blood cells (approximately 32 ml.)

during a platelet donation. However, if you donate whole blood first, you must wait 56

days before you can donate platelets or any other blood products due to the fact

you lose approximately 200 ml. of red cells during whole blood donations.

In addition, only a small percentage of platelets are collected . The body will replace them within 24 hours. Because your red cells are not depleted, you should not fell tired or lightheaded. Try to avoid strenuous exercise or lifting after donating.

Time,

I wonder if it was me that you are quoting. :angry:

I am double banned for donating blood. One for Gulf War Syndrome and the other for being stationed in Europe. I have a friend that donates regularly and he always asks about each ban jokingly and as of last Fall he reports they are still in effect.

I think the questioner simply asks if you served in the Gulf War from such and such times in the 90s. Not sure about the current conflict.

Yep, it was your post the got me awondering.

The 'guns' were used on me in '87. two in one arm, one in the other, then another needle. Four shots total if my memory can be relied on.

Thanks for all the replies.

I was reminded from a post in another thread that Gulf War Veterans are not allowed to donate blood. I remember being told by the Army when we came back from the desert that we could not donate but was/am unsure if this ban was still active. I have not officially verified that it is still active.

The question is, Are veterans from other conflicts banned from donating blood, especially this curent conflict?

Because I`ve had Malaria so many times I can`t give blood...unless its my ex wife.

Cavman