Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Life Insurance

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

I applied for the $10000 life insurance policy and was surprised it was granted. Someone here told me to apply because he said..you never know. The letter stated how much the fee was per month, quarter etc. It also stated to pay it and a review is underway to see if the fee will be dropped due to a disability. Is this usually the way its done and being 100% will the fee be waived?

Cavman

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

SDVI Service Disabled Veterans Insurance

Once you are approved for the initial $10,000 fee waiver you may purchase an addional $20,000 at your own expense.

Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance, also

called "RH" Insurance, is for service-connected

veterans. Coverage is $10,000. You may be

eligible for a $20,000 supplemental policy if you

are totally disabled. You must apply for RH within

two years of being rated service connected by

VA.

GOD AND THE SOLDIER WE ADORE

IN TIME OF DANGER AND NOT BEFORE

THE DANGER PASSED AND ALL THINGS RIGHTED

GOD IS FORGOTTEN, THE SOLDIER SLIGHTED.

VA Insurance Center will waive your premiums if you become totally disabled from any condition before your 65th birthday and remain so for 6 or more consecutive months. The percentage of your *Service Connected* disability does not determine if VA will approve your application. Total disability for insurance purposes means any impairment of mind or body which continuously makes it impossible for the disabled person to follow any substantially gainful occupation. Additional insurance you may purchase beyond the initial $10,000 is referred to as "Supplemental RH Insurance" which you may purchase from $1000 to $20,000. **VA does not waive premiums on "Supplemental RH Insurance".

Please note this same information is contained in: VA Pamphlet 29-9 Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance RH Information and Premium Rates. This pamphlet can be obtained or questions answered--VA Insurance Center 1-800-669-8477. In closing, I am 30% service connected and have been granted disability waiver of premiums on my first $10,000 insurance and later on purchased the additional $20,000 Supplemental RH Insurance of which the premiums are deducted monthly from my VA Compensation.

Something very interesting I thought I'd pass on. I just got off the phone with the VA life insurance folks, because my husband received his P & T 100% schedular rating notice from the AMC with no discussion of life insurance (i.e., it didn't come with the canned letter from the VARO). He was notified in 2006 of his 100% P & T status retro'd back to 2003. He missed the two year window, in other words because we didn't know about this until after the window closed. But I was just told this -- if the veteran is 100% P & T, misses the two year window but is then rated with a new condition that was not rated before the window expired, a new two-year window opens up and the veteran can then apply.

I repeated this verbatim to the person on the phone, is this general knowledge out there?

Something very interesting I thought I'd pass on. I just got off the phone with the VA life insurance folks, because my husband received his P & T 100% schedular rating notice from the AMC with no discussion of life insurance (i.e., it didn't come with the canned letter from the VARO). He was notified in 2006 of his 100% P & T status retro'd back to 2003. He missed the two year window, in other words because we didn't know about this until after the window closed. But I was just told this -- if the veteran is 100% P & T, misses the two year window but is then rated with a new condition that was not rated before the window expired, a new two-year window opens up and the veteran can then apply.

I repeated this verbatim to the person on the phone, is this general knowledge out there?

Yes! I know, but many do not, which is due in large to the VARO's failure to notify these Vets. My first 10% service connection was approved in 1973, meaning I had 2-years or until 1975 to purchase up to $10,000 RH Life insurance, but I only purchased $1000. In 2007, I was granted service connection for two new conditions, which again made me eligibility for VA RH Insurance (*the two yr window reopens).

• In Memoriam

Cavman,

I didn't make any payments at all. The insurance letter came after my connection in a few months. I sent in the application. I was approved. Then I got the waiver for the 10,000. There is a phone number that you can call on the application for help.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

I agree with Stretch..the same thing happened to me. The life insurance division is on the ball, and you are used to dealing with C and P. Raise your standards, then lower them back down after you get your life insurance and are dealing with C and P again.

The C and P bad service will come right back to you..you dont need to worry about C and P giving good service like VA life insurance. C and P has a reputation to live up to, and they sure wont blow it by giving Veterans good service.