• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retiree Crdp And Va Waivers

Rate this question

cowgirl

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Cowgirl question of the day

What is the formula that determines the VA waiver amount of money from retired pay? Can someone here break it out?

Thank you ~ !

Cg'up2009!

p.s. Its not the 'withheld amount'.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Joey, As far as when, good question, there are no exacts for retro unless an award was sent out, then its fast. If you got the VA retro, could be that om also includes your dfas crdp.(*I've heard either agency can do a pass off) Still 'rechecking' here, my crdp retro involves a few years, so I am qc'ing for accuracy

Found this vague statement on dfas Q&A for crdp "....monies owed may be paid by either the DVA, DFAS, or from both agencies...may be eligible for payment from DFAS as a restoration of pay and/or from the DVA as part of disability compensation. Individual amounts will vary based on differences in disability amount and length of the retroactive period'"

Recieved a new rating summer '08 and some weeks ago and have not recieved a DFAS letter on crdp retro/backpay at all. So checked DFAS f.a.q. found & used email address https://ca.dtic.mil/dfas/s-retired/ret-pay.htm to check on crdp, response "we here at DFAS became aware of you in of --- '08 when we got wordthat your percentage of disability with the DVA had increased --------we are currently reviewing to see if you may be due any retroactive pay." The response didnt address each date I was concerned with, but they are "AWARE of me!". Thats nice.

Best to ya,

Cg'up2009!

Hmmm...maybe someone can help me out then. I went from 40% to 50% in Nov 2008 dated back to Nov 2007. I received retro pay from VA very quickly. I called DFAS (the 1-800 mentioned in this post) yesterday and they told me that they show me getting CRDP since December of 08, but has received nothing from VA telling them that I have a year of retro coming. Before all this, I sent in IRIS inquires to ask them what was up to both VA and DFAS. Basically they both came back saying the other organization needs to do what they need to do. I am confused about the whole thing. I can understand if I am just waiting in line to get it, but that is not what they are telling me. They are telling me that VA needs INFO from DFAS and DFAS is saying they need INFO from VA. ??? Can I just send DFAS a copy of my award letter from VA and have them figure out what the back pay will be?
Edited by cowgirl

CG, when they say monies owed may be paid by VA, DFAS or both they mean that you could be owed by either or both not that either one could pay you. ie.....if you are owed CRDP retro VA can not pay it. Same as if you are owed VA backpay, DFAS can not pay it cause the monies come from different pots and DFAS has to withhold taxes (VA does not have a way to do this cause VA pay is non-taxable). Hope this makes sense!!!!

Joey, the problem you are having is that the phone people of the two agencies do not understand each other. VA is always quick to pay cause they are the ones issuing the rating.

Now VA is normally quick about notifying DFAS of the back dated award. Notice I said normally!!!!! However, what DFAS is telling you is correct they cannot work on or issue the retro until they receive official notice of the award. They will not accept your copy of the award cause VA notifies them via a Form......dang the form number escapes me at this moment (to late in the night).

Since they received the notice of your award in Dec 08 you are now at the end of that 90 day period so if they owe you (from looking at this before, I believe they do owe you) you should be getting it within the next couple of weeks. Keep calling DFAS and ask "hey what is the status of my CRDP retro". If they mention VA tell them you are not calling about VA you are calling about CRDP retro. Don't get confused when they say something about the "VA Retro Section". This is simply what they are calling the section that handles the retro payments and has nothing to do with VA except they receive the notices from VA and have to review your retired finance record based upon a retroactive VA decision.

One would think that when the contract was awarded to pay the retro payments to the first group of retired personnel, it would have had a clause in it that the contractor had to develop a computer program to pay all new claims within at least 30 days if not immediately!!!!! However, it appears they are still doing hand reviews and calculating with stubby pencils.

Hey if you still have my number give me a call on Tuesday around noon if you have the time.

DFAS is touting that once the form is received from VA they are issuing retro payments within 90 days on new awards. However, as with all government agencies who have contracted work out to a contractor --------- touting dates are hardly never met!!!!!!!!

Edited by Clown Man

• HadIt.com Elder

Clownman, are you sure? the va cannot pay crdp? Hm. Brb, gotta make a call, thanks~!

Cg'up2009!

(I'm adding the word 'touting' to my vocabulary today!)

Well I called DFAS again and they told me that my retro pay was being manually calculated at the moment. I then asked..."how can you calculate something when you said that you have not received the INFO from VA?" She did not have an answer for that...just repeated herself. What a joke!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been 'told' that the VA does not pay CRDP either. That the VA releases notification to DFAS letting them know of a rating increase or retroactive payment amount. Even without a regulation showing me that method, that I can accept. A few years ago, when I first recieved my increase for 60% (first time going over 50%) about two months later I recieved a letter breaking out the crdp details and notification of a deposit for the total amount, not much but correct and clear.

Now, caution: For retirees, there are at least three agencies working together to compile the numbers for VA, CRDP or CRSC and DFAS retirement compensation. When I hear the terms 'manually' calcualate and many hours involved, I am guarded as to why in this computer era. I wish for your sake that the numbers add up correctly when all is said and done. QC is a must and then ~ Enjoy!

Best to ya,

Cg'up2009!

My rating is done, promulgated, deposited and now...crdp will be reviewed. Last rating increase dfas 'review' took near 12 months result '0'. All along dfas/crdp said records were reviewed prior to decision. hm. Will post when I know more.

Hello all, I am just recently retired from the AF after 23 years. I have been given a rating of 60% with an effective date of Aug 1 2010. The date of the letter notifying me was May 23 2011. I spoke with the VA today and I was informed that I will not receive any of the back pay dating back to Aug last year because I am receiving retirement pay from the Air Force.

I spoke with the VA when I received the letter and was told then that I will get the back pay. I do not know who to believe? Is there any one here in this forum that has been in this situation that may be able to spread some light on this for me? I do not know which is the truth.

Thank You in advance.