Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chronic Pain Syndrome And Depression

Rate this question

foleyj

Question

Since this is my first post I will give a brief background. As you can see from the profile I have been rated at 60% for my SCD's, here is the breakdown;

20%-SCD for lower back injury, annular tear and herniation L4-L5

20%-SCD for weakness, pain and numbness or right leg

20%-SCD right shoulder, torn capsule

20%-SCD left shoulder, torn capsule

I also have right and left hip bursitis secondary to the back injury that I submitted a claim for but was denied because of lack of evidence. I am also being treated for depression that started after I began receiving my disability benefits. I recently obtained documentation from my Ortho stating that the hip pain is related to my back injury. So that is something that I am going to resubmit to the VA as new evidence since it was denied previously. I also went to my psychiatrist and he filled out the nexus letter stating that the depression was possibly related to the chronic pain syndrome related to my injuries. My question is how do I proceed with the my claim as far as the depression? Should I claim depression and chronic pain syndrome, or should I claim as a separate disability? This is the first time that I have obtained documentation that diagnosis chronic pain syndrome. Also, can the psychiatrist diagnose chronic pain syndrome? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Jason

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Gotta go with John on this.... here are the choices you want to give Doc

More than Likely

Likely

As likely as not

(bad options to give doc but hey)

less than likely

unlikely

You really are shooting for at LEAST - "As Likely as Not"... then the claim wieght swings in your favor anything less than that, and you sunk my battleship ok?

Bob Smith

Thanks for all the advice and information. I went back to the doc and he changed it from possibly related to to related to on the form. I will let you know how it goes with the claim.

I'm confused (as usual).

A rating for a major depressive disorder that is secondary to the chronic pain of my service connected disability---and--- the (9422) Pain disorder##

Are these two separate ratings: 1. service connection for pain disorder of the constant pain of my s/c disability??

2. service connection for major depressive disorder that is secondary to s/c disability??

(?) So if someone is suffering severe depression from chronic pain, do they file and request s/c for the "pain disorder" or for "depression" due to pain, or both??

• HadIt.com Elder
I'm confused (as usual).

A rating for a major depressive disorder that is secondary to the chronic pain of my service connected disability---and--- the (9422) Pain disorder##

Are these two separate ratings: 1. service connection for pain disorder of the constant pain of my s/c disability??

2. service connection for major depressive disorder that is secondary to s/c disability??

(?) So if someone is suffering severe depression from chronic pain, do they file and request s/c for the "pain disorder" or for "depression" due to pain, or both??

MDD - Major Depressive Disorder

and

the 9422 Pain Disorder

are two separate diagnosis and as such can be filed for separately, BUT, when the rater rates your disability, they will more or less combine the two, for you will only receive ONE percentage rating for "mental disorders".

If you have medical diagonosis of both these disorders then you would want to file for both, 1. just in case they should deny one of them, 2. just in case they will award a larger percentage in the chance that they DO award for both disorders (under the umbrella of the singular mental disorder basket).

Obviously, having said that, you do have to have a "nexus" statement from your MD, PA, NP, stating that the depression is "more likely than not" "at least as likely" "likely" "caused by" "aggravated by", your chronic pain due to SC'd disability.

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

• HadIt.com Elder

I have chronic pain disorder and other emotional things. The VA just rolls it into a ball and gives you one rating on the worst mental condition you have. Many of us have things like depression, PTSD, anxiety disorder etc. The VA gives you one rating for all, but since having more than one problem makes the whole picture worse you should get a higher rating overall. Now some people with emotional disorders are 100% for just one diagnosis, but have others that are really not rated individually. One thing to remember is if you have something like chronic pain disorder and depression or PTSD then it is unlikely that your condition will improve because these things feed off each other, and one condition makes the other worse.