Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Started Claim 2 Weeks Left On Active Duty

Rate this question

willie 74

Question

Hello all, I have two weeks left on active duty before I get discharged. I just started filling out form 21-526. I just want to be sure I claim what I need to. I will give some info about myself. I have served 6 yrs national guard, switched to reserve did 3, then joined active duty Coast Guard. Anyway I had disk fusion surgery last year: L5-S1 post complications include radiating pain down leg apparently from nerves. Loss of ROM, and possible bladder issues. Just looking for all and any advice into what not to do or what I need to do. I have been to all the forums and learned a great deal espicially from rental guy :) , I have everything documented and I have copies.

Like I said from my records I have been told I would only probally recieve 20 % dis, I have been complaining about pain radiating down my leg now for about 6 months and ofcourse it is documented. I will be getting my discharge physical done next week sometime, what should I make sure the doc anitates on his report? I understand I prob have scatica and favorable ankylosis, just not sure. And what is a nexus statement? I know some of these questions seem elementarry but I do need some advice. Thank you all for the posts..... :)

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Voiding dysfunction:

Rate particular condition as urine leakage, frequency,

or obstructed voiding

Continual Urine Leakage, Post Surgical Urinary

Diversion, Urinary Incontinence, or Stress Incontinence:

Requiring the use of an appliance or the wearing

of absorbent materials which must be changed

more than 4 times per day ............................... 60

Requiring the wearing of absorbent materials

which must be changed 2 to 4 times per day .. 40

Requiring the wearing of absorbent materials

which must be changed less than 2 times per

day .................................................................... 20

Urinary frequency:

Daytime voiding interval less than one hour, or;

awakening to void five or more times per night 40

Daytime voiding interval between one and two

hours, or; awakening to void three to four

times per night .................................................. 20

Daytime voiding interval between two and three

hours, or; awakening to void two times per

night .................................................................. 10

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Hello all, I have two weeks left on active duty before I get discharged. I just started filling out form 21-526. I just want to be sure I claim what I need to. I will give some info about myself. I have served 6 yrs national guard, switched to reserve did 3, then joined active duty Coast Guard. Anyway I had disk fusion surgery last year: L5-S1 post complications include radiating pain down leg apparently from nerves. Loss of ROM, and possible bladder issues. Just looking for all and any advice into what not to do or what I need to do. I have been to all the forums and learned a great deal espicially from rental guy :) , I have everything documented and I have copies.

Like I said from my records I have been told I would only probally recieve 20 % dis, I have been complaining about pain radiating down my leg now for about 6 months and ofcourse it is documented. I will be getting my discharge physical done next week sometime, what should I make sure the doc anitates on his report? I understand I prob have scatica and favorable ankylosis, just not sure. And what is a nexus statement? I know some of these questions seem elementarry but I do need some advice. Thank you all for the posts..... :)

Hi Willie74 and Welcome to HADIT. It looks like Sharon gave you a jumping off point with what should be annotated on your discharge physical, especially...

I see right off the bat that you have indicated twice about the pain radiating down leg. I have experienced that type of pain and numbing sensation for many years...the medical term (IN MY CASE) is LEFT radiculopathy. It is a neuro condition and you might want to ask for a neurological consult, if at all possible, before you actually retire.

You don't want "PROBABLY" to have anything to do with your statement from a doctor. YOU WANT IT DOCUMENTED CLEARLY THAT YOU HAVE IT...DON'T GIVE THE VARO ANY WIGGLE ROOM.

Edited by luvHIM

Rental guy is a Fabulous advocate!

Being inservice now- these conditions already have an established inservice nexus- as long as they are noted in your SMRs.

A Nexus is the link that many many veterans need when they file claims years after service that involve disabilities that they need to prove incurred while in the military.

If you are the vet who asked for the Nexus form somewhere here-I apologise that I did not know you were still active mil.

For the Discharge physical-make sure they do note ALL conditions especially that radiating pain.

None of your questions are 'elementary' at all.

The VA claims process is confusing and frustrating.

Everyone here at some point I am sure dealt with VA letters and all sorts of VA stuff that seems at first overwhelming and often difficult to even read.

You have your ducks in a row already and those ducks only need some armaments- meaning you have a solid claim that VA can easily verify in your SMRs and Discharge Certificate but

you need to be prepared to get the highest rating possible for these disabilities.

Who said only 20%?

LUVHIM and Sharon are right too-

These things should be documented while you are still in the Mil.

Our Vietnam Vets often had considerable info left out by Corpsmen or doctors at the Base. Even many injuries that were treated in the field were not noted in SMRS and years down the road those injuies began to disable the veteran.

We claimants all learned from that.

The best thing you brave men and women in our Military today (the BEST in the world)-is to leave service with accurate and complete SMRs.

Is there someone available at the CG to help you with your claim?

I am a civilian and dont know how the CG works- can you expect a series of discharge briefings where you might be able to meet someone from the VA and from a veterans service org? for claims stuff and educational benefits info etc stuff like that.

That is what we are here for too-for this type of advise -

EVERYTHING should be claimed on the 21-526.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Rental guy is a Fabulous advocate!

Being inservice now- these conditions already have an established inservice nexus- as long as they are noted in your SMRs.

A Nexus is the link that many many veterans need when they file claims years after service that involve disabilities that they need to prove incurred while in the military.

If you are the vet who asked for the Nexus form somewhere here-I apologise that I did not know you were still active mil.

For the Discharge physical-make sure they do note ALL conditions especially that radiating pain.

None of your questions are 'elementary' at all.

The VA claims process is confusing and frustrating.

Everyone here at some point I am sure dealt with VA letters and all sorts of VA stuff that seems at first overwhelming and often difficult to even read.

You have your ducks in a row already and those ducks only need some armaments- meaning you have a solid claim that VA can easily verify in your SMRs and Discharge Certificate but

you need to be prepared to get the highest rating possible for these disabilities.

Who said only 20%?

LUVHIM and Sharon are right too-

These things should be documented while you are still in the Mil.

Our Vietnam Vets often had considerable info left out by Corpsmen or doctors at the Base. Even many injuries that were treated in the field were not noted in SMRS and years down the road those injuies began to disable the veteran.

We claimants all learned from that.

The best thing you brave men and women in our Military today (the BEST in the world)-is to leave service with accurate and complete SMRs.

Is there someone available at the CG to help you with your claim?

I am a civilian and dont know how the CG works- can you expect a series of discharge briefings where you might be able to meet someone from the VA and from a veterans service org? for claims stuff and educational benefits info etc stuff like that.

That is what we are here for too-for this type of advise -

EVERYTHING should be claimed on the 21-526.

Thanks for the reply, I had someone in the VA look through my records after my fusion but before my radiating pain. That is when they unaficially told me about around 20%. Like you said I have everything documented and I will be seeing someone this week concerning some bladder issues. I should also have my discharge physical done around the first or second week of april. I will be getting the physical done by a doc who know's my history. At one point he wrote me a permanent waiver for the Sit and Reach portion of our physical fitness test, stating "The fusion has resulted in a permanent decrease in the range of motion and flexability of the low spine, which directly limits his ability to flex forward at the waist". I have the original copy of this.

Thank you all for the advice, with loseing my flexability and the constant pain, and the radiating down my leg. I have been seen for all these sevaral times and it is on my SMR. So I hope it would be more than 20%, not that I am trying to play the system I just want to insure I get treated fairly. I would love to stay in but I know I physically cannot...

One last note, if you haven't done so already, please get a complete copy of your SMR's for your records down the road. If you can, get your orig. medical records before retirement...that would be even better...both (orig. and an extra copy for safe keeping) would be excellent.

Edited by luvHIM

my question is did u have a fall or some thing that cause u to have surgery if so that must be showen i had injury inservice there was apaper that states do u feel injury is service connect found it in my records many yrs latter none sign by me and give to my commander for me to sign before u leave see a jag lawyer and make sure u have copys of all med reports before u leave so u dont get the run around later. take them with u to va hospital give them copy i found out many yrs ago hospital have no records on u unleast they oder them so take your self will save time. and doc will no how to treated right a way.