• donate-be-a-hero.png

Configure Worm

carlie

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larry

I thought you were Jewish, and now you tell us you are a Native American (politically correct!). I thought Kinky Freedman was the only Jew in Texas.

John,

I think you can be both, but the down side is that when you cross a yamika and a headdress - you end up with a really ugly hat. :lol:

• HadIt.com Elder

Conficker Wakes Up

Source: CBS News/CNET

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/09/...ml?tag=topStory

The Conficker worm is finally doing something - updating via peer-to-peer between infected computers and dropping a mystery payload on infected computers, Trend Micro said on Wednesday.

Researchers were analyzing the code of the software that is being dropped onto infected computers but suspect that it is a keystroke logger or some other program designed to steal sensitive data off the machine, said David Perry, global director of security education at Trend Micro.

The software appeared to be a .sys component hiding behind a rootkit, which is software that is designed to hide the fact that a computer has been compromised, according to Trend Micro. The software is heavily encrypted, which makes code analysis difficult, the researchers said.

The worm also tries to connect to MySpace.com, MSN.com, eBay.com, CNN.com and AOL.com as a way to test that the computer has Internet connectivity, deletes all traces of itself in the host machine, and is set to shut down on May 3, according to the TrendLabs Malware Blog.

quick on-line visual test link http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html

quick on-line broowser scan

http://iv.cs.uni-bonn.de/fileadmin/user_upload/werner/cfdetector/

Notes:

If you do a internet search and when clicking on any of the websites listed in the search results and you are taken to strange sites that are not the site you were trying to go to, that's Conficker. Conficker also doesn't let you go to any sites that it recognizes as a computer help site (like if you wanted to go to www.malwarebytes.com or www.majorgeeks.com or some other equivelent it won't allow you to enter the site). If you aren't getting updates from your anti-virus or Microsoft or any other anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-adware,etc. programs you have, that's also a symptom of Conficker.

The one good thing about Conficker is that the symptoms are obvious. If when you do an internet search and when clicking on any of the resulting sites you aren't taken to those sites but to other strange ones (like shopping sites or directory sites) that's one of the symptoms. If you can't get into most computer help sites, that's another symptom. If you aren't able to get updates for your anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-whatever programs, that's another symptom. When I got Conficker last January I knew I had something creepy as soon as I got it (I was doing a lot of internet searches at the time).