Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome/chronic Cervical Radiculopathy

Rate this question

qrdgv2tebc

Question

HI to All

Iposted about a week ago , but i must have done something wrong because my post did not show up

ihave S/C for CTS since 2005 10% i put in a claim for chronic radiculopathy anf chronic pain syndrome, both were s/c, but they lump all three togeather, CTS/chronic radiculopathy/chronic pain syndrome, but no increase it is still at 10% bi-lateral, is ther sometihing wrong with this. maybe i am wrong, but should they be an increase since they s/c/ radiculopathy and chronic pain syndrome.

I was also granted S/C for Hiatal hernia anf GERD disease 10% after years of putting in my claim.

DJD of the Lumbar spine went from 20% to 40% and DJD of the cervical spine went from 20% to 30%

I am S/C for cervicogenic headeach as secondary to DJD of the cervical spine since 2004, and now it has increased to 30% since 2008. my right shoulder has gone up to 30% from 20%.

This one i find strange, they S/Cme for Chrinic lumbar radiculopathy, RIGHT with Chronic pain syndrome/chronic lumbar radicilopathy LEFT with chronic pain syndrome 10% bi-lateral

What is lumbar RIGHT and lumbar LEFT. from what i understand chronic pain syndrome has it's own code and radiculopathy has it's own code.

In September of 2008 i lost the sight in my right eye , i had three operations, bbut still i can't seeout of my right eye everything is in shadow, i cant tell flat surface from steps,anything on my right side is a complete blank, if i sign my name i have to turn to the right to see withmy left eye, i also dont have a lens because it was destroyed on my first operation from blood, they could not stop the bleeding in my for four hours, it was to be a four hour operation, but it lasted ten hours. In Octotber i received a call from the VA , telling me that they are going to but me in for A%A because of lost of sight in my right eye, because now my wife has tobe with me where ever i go, i can't drive, it's hard for me to write or as i am now useng the computer. well A%A was denied because my eye is not S/C i am not bedridden and i still have sight in my ledft eye. when they told me they wanted to put me in for A%A,i told them no because i don't want to go through the stress. but still they put me in for it. Sorry this is so long.

If anyone on board cant help with the questions i would appreaciate it,

Sorry for the wrong spelling on words.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry must have missed your original post. I approved this one hopefully you will get some answers. Its not you new members have to be approved but soon you will have your wings and be able to post same as all Members

Welcome to Hadit

I see that there is a second post if it is the same I will delete it

HI to All

Iposted about a week ago , but i must have done something wrong because my post did not show up

ihave S/C for CTS since 2005 10% i put in a claim for chronic radiculopathy anf chronic pain syndrome, both were s/c, but they lump all three togeather, CTS/chronic radiculopathy/chronic pain syndrome, but no increase it is still at 10% bi-lateral, is ther sometihing wrong with this. maybe i am wrong, but should they be an increase since they s/c/ radiculopathy and chronic pain syndrome.

I was also granted S/C for Hiatal hernia anf GERD disease 10% after years of putting in my claim.

DJD of the Lumbar spine went from 20% to 40% and DJD of the cervical spine went from 20% to 30%

I am S/C for cervicogenic headeach as secondary to DJD of the cervical spine since 2004, and now it has increased to 30% since 2008. my right shoulder has gone up to 30% from 20%.

This one i find strange, they S/Cme for Chrinic lumbar radiculopathy, RIGHT with Chronic pain syndrome/chronic lumbar radicilopathy LEFT with chronic pain syndrome 10% bi-lateral

What is lumbar RIGHT and lumbar LEFT. from what i understand chronic pain syndrome has it's own code and radiculopathy has it's own code.

In September of 2008 i lost the sight in my right eye , i had three operations, bbut still i can't seeout of my right eye everything is in shadow, i cant tell flat surface from steps,anything on my right side is a complete blank, if i sign my name i have to turn to the right to see withmy left eye, i also dont have a lens because it was destroyed on my first operation from blood, they could not stop the bleeding in my for four hours, it was to be a four hour operation, but it lasted ten hours. In Octotber i received a call from the VA , telling me that they are going to but me in for A%A because of lost of sight in my right eye, because now my wife has tobe with me where ever i go, i can't drive, it's hard for me to write or as i am now useng the computer. well A%A was denied because my eye is not S/C i am not bedridden and i still have sight in my ledft eye. when they told me they wanted to put me in for A%A,i told them no because i don't want to go through the stress. but still they put me in for it. Sorry this is so long.

If anyone on board cant help with the questions i would appreaciate it,

Sorry for the wrong spelling on words.

Sounds like they are only rating you for Median nerve for your CTS/chronic radiculopathy/chronic pain syndrome. I think you have some room to work there. What is your combined rating? I am 30% rt and 20% lft for moderate CTS. What did your nerve test come back with, just mild CTS? I would definitely NOD and state that your radiculapothy should be rated separate from your CTS.

I forgot to mention that I believe you should be rated for each hand if you have CTS in both. Here is the rating criteria per 38 CFR. This is the code I am rated under for my CTS. You'll notice there are 2 categories for major and minor hand, so you should be getting 10 and 10 at the very least.

The median nerve

8515 Paralysis of:

Complete; the hand inclined to the ulnar side, the index and middle

fingers more extended than normally, considerable atrophy of the

muscles of the thenar eminence, the thumb in the plane of the hand

(ape hand); pronation incomplete and defective, absence of flexion

of index finger and feeble flexion of middle finger, cannot make a fist,

index and middle fingers remain extended; cannot flex distal phalanx

of thumb, defective opposition and abduction of the thumb at right

angles to palm; flexion of wrist weakened; pain with trophic

disturbances ................................................................................

........ 70.......... 60

Incomplete:

Severe 50.......... 40

Moderate ................................................................................

............. 30.......... 20

Mild ................................................................................

.................... 10.......... 10

Radiculapothy is in this chapter also:

Diseases of the Peripheral Nerves

The term “incomplete paralysis” with this and other peripheral nerve injuries indicates a degree of lost or impaired function substantially less than the type pictured for complete paralysis given with each nerve, whether due to varied level of the nerve lesion or to partial regeneration. When the involvement is wholly sensory, the rating should be for the mild, or at most, the moderate degree. The following ratings for the peripheral nerves are for unilateral involvement; when bilateral, combine with application of the bilateral factor.

Rating

Major Minor

Upper radicular group (fifth and sixth cervicals)

8510 Paralysis of:

Complete; all shoulder and elbow movements lost or severely

affected, hand and wrist movements not affected ............................. 70.......... 60

Incomplete:

Severe 50.......... 40

Moderate ................................................................................

............. 40.......... 30

Mild ................................................................................

.................... 20.......... 20

8610 Neuritis

8710 Neuralgia

Middle radicular group

8511 Paralysis of:

Complete; adduction, abduction, and rotation of arm, flexion of

elbow, and extension of wrist lost or severely affected ..................... 70.......... 60

Incomplete:

Severe 50.......... 40

................. 20.......... 20

8611 Neuritis

8711 Neuralgia

Lower radicular group

8512 Paralysis of

Complete; all intrinsic muscles of hand, and some or all of

flexors of wrist and fingers, paralyzed (substantial loss of use

of hand) ................................................................................

................. 70.......... 60

8512 Paralysis of (cont.)

Incomplete:

Severe 50.......... 40

8612 Neuritis

8712 Neuralgia

All radicular groups

8513 Paralysis of:

Complete 90..............................................................................

................. 80

Incomplete:

Severe 70.......... 60

You definitely need to find out if you have these on both sides (bilateral). If you are a Gulf War Vet, you can claim the chronic pain under GW illness. Let us know all the particulars of your award letter and what your tests/C&P exams state.

Here is the link to the CFR

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/bookc.html#p

• HadIt.com Elder

cervicogenic headaches

The headaches are caused by cervical injury or arthritis. The literature states that any cervical disc herniation is capable of causing headaches. They are also called occipital headaches. I had them for fiffteen years. In my case they were caused by activity such as fishing. My disc herniation was origibally disgnosed by a doctor who took a history on the headaches and could tell from the history that the headaches were due to a disc problem. The doctor scheduled an MRI which confirmed the diagnosis.

These headaches are very different in the way the onset than tension headaches. In my case they were always caused by activity. The headaches got to the point after fifteen years that just getting up and moving around for a couple hours would kick them off. I started getting head pain every day about noon.

Eventually the disc really got bad and I could not function due to head pain, shoulder pain and neck pain. I lost the use of of my left arm due to pain and weakness. I could not turn my head without my left arm going numb. After about two years of advanced symptoms the entire problem started to resolve. I did not have surgery.

I now function pretty good and only have a small risidual lose of use of my fingers and a weak left hand.

• HadIt.com Elder

Headaches are rated under Migraine Criteria.

The issues that are critical are wether or not the Headaches are prostrating, The number of occurrences and if they cause a severe economic impact.

J